Sagging and lines around mouth, best treatment? Voluma? Laser? Botox? (photos)

I'm noticing my skin sagging by my mouth and deeper lines (is it the marionette lines?). What would be best for this? Filler? It seems worse on my left side than right.

Sagging and lines around mouth, best treatment?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. I see your areas of concern and I would advocate for Voluma into your cheeks, with a greater amount into your right to achieve improved symmetry.  You can then use a thinner filler, such as Juvederm to fill in any remaining depressions of the smile lines and marionette lines.  Hope this helps.

Sagging And Lines Around Mouth, Best Treatment? Voluma? Laser? Botox?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Based on your photo, the use of fillers such as Juvederm and possibly Voluma would most effectively address your concerns.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Improving the sagging around the mouth

This can be improved with fillers. I would use Restylane or Restylane Lyft. Placement in the marionette lines and NLF will help. Sometimes sagging is related to loss of cheek support but you appear to have good volume in this area. Infini can always be added for tightening the skin in this area as well.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Solutions for Sagging & Lines Around Mouth

Dear mmp525:

Looking at your photo, my recommendation would be to balance and lift the mid face and cheek area with Voluma, and fill the the marionette and nasolabial folds with Juvederm Volift.  To complement this, better texture of your facial skin can be achieved with peels and lasers and maintenance topical retinols.  Please see an expert injector.  Wishing you treatment success.

Sagging Mouth and Combination of Fillers and Thermage

Since the jowls are the area that bother you I would recommend a combination of fillers and Thermage.  Thermage will tighten the skin in this area and Voluma and Restylane Lyft will give you an immediate mid-face lift and help with the corners of the mouth as well.  Please consult an experienced board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Voluma

Thank you for your question. Voluma adds volume to the cheeks and mid-face, which commonly become drawn as the human body ages and collagen production. Voluma is often used to enhance the lips and lines around the mouth. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combination of fillers

Based on your photo and description, I would probably recommend a combination of fillers. Yes, Voluma could be a great choice to add volume to your mid-face and "lift" your cheeks. Then, I would probably recommend a thinner filler to treat any remaining lines around the mouth. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person and discuss your best options. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Question

Thank you for your question! My aesthetics nurse, Annie Bruno, RN typically treats the mid-face with voluma (if applicable to the patient) first for lower face sagging as this is helpful with vertical lifting. Adding volume to the natural cheek bone structures of the face will help with cheek "sculpting", but also lower face sagging, the tear trough area, as well as nasolabial folds. Additional juvederm xc, or juvederm ultra plus can then be added if necessary. I would advise breaking up your appointments and injecting no more than 2 syringes of product at a time. Injecting slowly can greatly improve accuracy and outcomes. I hope this is helpful to you!

Be well, 

Dr. Todd Hobgood, MD

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

A Filler Can Help Sagging Skin and Balance Sides of the Mouth

Sagging skin around the mouth is usually due to a combination of skin laxity and volume loss.  Therefore, the ideal approach is to address both problems.  When the fat pads around our mouth begin to shrink in size due to genetics and age, the overlying skin loses support and forms deeper folds.  You’re right to notice that this is happening to a greater degree on your left side than on your right.  Use of filler in these areas can correct this problem.  Similarly, over time our skin begins to lose collagen and elasticity due to age and photo damage.  This leads to a degree of skin laxity that can also contribute to sagging skin around the mouth.  To address this issue, non-surgical methods for skin tightening such as focused ultrasound or radiofrequency can be quite useful.  Combining both filler and skin tightening will provide the best results for you.  As both of these procedures require a degree of skill, experience, and training, best to consult with a Board certified dermatologist for further information.

Best Treatment for Sagging Skin Around Mouth

Thank you for your question and photos.  Voluma would be an excellent choice for treating the areas of concern that you have expressed.  Because Voluma has a tighter matrix than other fillers, it is perfect for being administered deep to the cheek bone, which, in turn, provides lift while minimizing the sagging you are describing.  Often, problems on the left side of the face are more noticeable for folks because of many years of sun exposure on that side of the face while driving our cars.  I hear my patients complain often that the left side of their face needs more support.  In conjunction with Voluma, you could do a series of radio frequency skin tightening that will only give you even more improvement.  Reach out to your favorite plastic surgeon's office and tell your injector your needs and you will be on your way to feeling better.  Wishing you so much bliss on your journey!

Remus Repta, MD