Can you safely perform a tummy tuck and breast reduction together?

Why would one plastic surgeon not perform 2 surgieres at once? I found 2 plastic surgeon I really like but one will perform a breast reduction and tummy tuck together but the other will not. The one who will not said it's too dangerous being under that long and toxic. I see a lot of people who get both done. Would there be any reason to only do one at s time?

Breast reduction and tummy tuck

I do these together often, in a mommy makeover and more.  Safety is a priority.   It comes down to surgeon preference.  I limit my operative time to 6 hours under general anesthesia for healthy low risk patients.   In that time I can do quite a bit (example: breast lift with a augmentation, lipo of back, flanks, bra-line, fat transfer to the buttocks, and a tummy tuck).  If in reality more is needed, then it is best to stage some of the procedures. Please make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options. Hope that helps and best wishes! Dr. Morales ABPS Board Certified Houston, Tx

Multiple procedures

Thank you for your question. We do perform multiple surgeries same time but it depends on the status of your health and other factors. As long as you are healthy it can be done. Please talk to one more PS so you may get better answer. 

Combined procedures

Dear Boxersrule:Multiple procedures such as a breast reduction/lift with a tummy tuck can be done safely, but it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. In some cases, an overnight stay may be recommended. Most surgeons refer to a "mommy makeover" as a series of cosmetic  surgery procedures intended to restore a woman’s figure after pregnancy. Please talk to your plastic surgeon to get their thoughts on the matter as they are most familiar with your medical history and overall health status. Best wishes, Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction.

Great question,

This is a very common procedure performed in the United States
A Tummy Tuck and a Breast Reduction can safely be performed at the same
time.  Make sure that your body will be able to tolerate these two
rather extensive surgical procedures. Consider starting with your
primary care or family practice physician to obtain an EKG and Lab work to make sure you are in perfect health conditions.

I wish you well through your procedures and recovery.

Dr McAdoo 

• 32,000 procedures 
  • 20 years experience
  • AOA board certified plastic surgeon

Tummy Tuck & Breast Reduction

A tummy tuck and breast reduction can be safely performed together in patients. In fact, having both of those procedures done is common in women who have had children. The combination of a tummy tuck and breast surgery is called a mommy makeover. Patients who have both procedures done at the same time can benefit from one anesthetic experience and one recovery period. If you have any health conditions, this can have an impact on a surgeon’s plan for you. Your surgeon may not want to do both procedures at once in order to avoid any potential complications. Before going through with surgery, make sure both surgeons are board-certified plastic surgeons. Good luck in your upcoming body makeover!

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Excellent question.  There are many factors that come into play.  Your physical condition, your risk factors, the surgeon's experience and comfort level, etc.  So don't be surprised if you get different opinions from different plastic surgeons.  You need to see which one you are more comfortable with.  Hope that helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Combination procedures, are they safe?

Thank you for your question. Combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands.  The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time.  For example, we work in a team,  This allows us to get better results with less surgical time and less trauma. Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Yes! If you are in good health and you get surgery done in an accredited facility by a board certified plastic surgeon, surgery can be performed in good conditions. However if you have health conditions that put you at risk of more complications, then it is safer to do one surgery at a time. Combining both adds time and recovery is a bit heavier. But if you have enough support at home to help you during that time it can be done.

Azita Madjidi, MD

Breast Reduction and tummy tuck can be done together

As you have yourself discovered that surgeon's vary in their preferences.  Both surgeons have their own justifications and both are right. Have your pick.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Combined breast reduction and tummy tuck.

safety is always my concern, and, based on how long I estimate procedure will take, will influence my opinion . I generally take about 2 hours for a modest breast reduction and 1.5 hours for tummy tuck and I consider that safe. I use IV sedation which Infeel is safer.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon