Is it safe to have liposuction in armpit area during a breast reduction operation? Could this cause the nipple to die?

I am 45 years old. I am 5'1" and 40DDD in some bras and 40 FFF in the expensive support bras. I went on a couple of consultations for breast reduction. One Dr. Said that he would lipo my armpit area and part of my back during surgery. The other Dr. Said that he does liposuction later as a separate procedure because it could cut off blood supply to nipple and it could die. Which is the best route to take. I want to be a c cup. The both said a full c small D would most likely be the result.

Liposuction during Breast Reduction

Liposuction can safely be performed during breast reduction. I suggest you consult with an expert who can address all of your pre-operative concerns. Best, Dr. Emer

Breast Reduction with Armpit liposuction, Is it safe?

HiTx70,

Thanks for your question. It certainly is safe but it depends on how aggressive you are with the liposuction. If too much is done then yes it could compromise the circulation to the breast but for most cases, it is safe. I routinely do it for a better breast shape without issues to nipple as the blood supply to nipple is done differently. Good Luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
#breastreduction #armpitliposuction #docmata

Lipo to the armpits

It could be performed safely.   The lipo of this area is on a more superficial plane were the blood supply is. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Is it safe to liposuction armpit during a breast reduction?

Thank you for your excellent question. In most instances a small amount of liposuction to the armpit and lateral chest wall helps enhance a woman's outcome after breast reduction surgery and can be safely performed without compromising the viability of the nipple.  Be sure to voice your concerns to your surgeon, they can provide you with reassurance.  

Lipo and breast reduction

I frequently do both at same time and more.  Every surgeon has their preferences.  But I find doing both improves the aesthetics of the breast and lateral chest.  the added lipo can be done safely and quickly.  it doesn't add much time to the recovery.  

Please make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.

Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD