Is it safe to get Botox while breastfeeding?

Hold Off Just to Be Safe

Thanks for your question. There are no specific clinical studies examining the effect BOTOX may have for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Because of that, I recommend that my patients postpone getting BOTOX injections until after they are finished breastfeeding.

Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Hold Off Until You've Progressed to Solid Foods

Because there are no clinical studies proving it (and there aren't likely to be any, either, because it would require pregnant subjects), I cannot safely say that BOTOX® is an acceptable treatment while you are nursing. I must recommend waiting to receive BOTOX injections until after your baby is no longer reliant on breast milk. Good luck to you and your baby!

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Botox While Pregnant

I have had this discussion with our patients. Botox safety / risk has never been established, nor researched on unborn fetus, and whether it will or will not pass through breast milk to your child.  I agree with prior recommendations that you should wait until after nursing your child to receive any kind of neurotoxin, including Botox, Xeomin or Dysport. 

Botox has never been tested for safety in breastfeeding moms

Botox safety while breastfeeding is a big unknown. That being the case, you should wait until you're done breastfeeding before resuming your cosmetic treatments.

Is it safe to get Botox while breastfeeding

It has never been tested on pregnant women, so to be safe, I would wait until the baby is born. A few months without out will go by fast and be safer

Julio Garcia, MD

Holding off on Botox while breastfeeding

Safety is the priority for any treatment. Especially when considering the well-being of an infant, I will recommend the more conservative option. In this case, I would hold off on any Botox treatments while breastfeeding.

There is no significant research demonstrating safety or danger for patients receiving Botox while breastfeeding. Until there is more information, err on the side of caution and wait until breastfeeding is done. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and breastfeeding

There are no clinical studies that support the safety of using botox while breastfeeding. Therefore, I would not recommend botox injections at this time. Hope this helps make your decision.

Botox while breastfeeding

Hi Stephanie,

While it is highly unlikely that the small amounts injected into the muscle would cause any harm to the baby, it is best to wait until you are finished breastfeeding because we simply do not know for sure. Take care!

Elizabeth Geddes-Bruce, MD, MS
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox question

Yes, botox can be injected while breastfeeding as it only affects the area that it is injected locally.

Thank you!

Dr. Adler

Max F. Adler, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Breastfeeding

It is safe, botox only works locally where injected.  However, I tell people to avoid any cosmetic procedures during pregancy and breastfeeding since studies have not been performed.  Best, Dr. Emer.