How safe is the actual breast augmentation surgery and general anesthesia?

How safe is the actual breast augmentation surgery and general anesthesia? I am a healthy 28 yr old female. I have had my tonsils removed and wisdom teeth extracted using general anesthesia before with no problems. I still can't help feeling anxious about surgery.

Very safe

safer than driving your car on any maybe highway in the houston area. You have tolerated general anesthesia in the past and you will again. Best of luck.

Hi- the operation itself is extremely safe as long as you have it performed by a board certified plastic surgeon. The operation takes less than an hour. Anesthesia risk is almost non-existent at this point as long as you have a clean bill of health without any uncontrolled medical issues. Good luck and hope this was helpful. 

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

BA safety

The procedure is very safe and is performed over 300,000 times per year in the US.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Risks of Breast Augmentation

Thank you very much for your question. When performed by an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon, today’s breast augmentation procedures are safe and provide satisfying results. Side-effects of a breast augmentation include redness, tenderness, swelling, and bruising. More serious complications such as breast asymmetry and capsular contracture are less common, but do occur. The surgery is generally performed as an out-patient procedure, taking from one to two hours, under general anesthesia. Anesthesia has little chance for complications, when provided by a board certified anesthesiologist. I recommend that you schedule a consultation appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon, who will review your medical history and perform a physical examination to determine if a breast augmentation is right for your personal situation. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Safety with Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Your concerns about safety with breast augmentation or any other elective cosmetic procedure is appropriate. And its normal to feel nervous. I take the safety of my patients very seriously and that starts with formal history and physical exam, not just of the area of concern, but of the heart, lungs, abdomen and even upper and lower extremities. Any family history of anesthetic issues or complications will have to be noted and considered for work-up prior to any elective procedure.

That said, if you are healthy in mind, body and spirit, and are motivated for achieving a great result, breast enhancement operations are safe, routine and pose little risk from anesthesia or body/health recovery.

How Safe?

Hi, 

Thank you for your question.  Breast augmentation surgery with general anesthesia is very safe, especially since you are young and healthy.  Make sure your surgery is preformed in an accredited surgery center with board-certified nurse anesthetist or anesthesiologist and with a board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Best of luck to you and hope this helps! 

Sincerely,

Dr. Chung 

Chia Jen Lynn Chung, MD
Puyallup Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Breast Augmentation under General Anesthesia

Breast augmentation under general anesthesia is an extremely safe procedure and, in fact, probably safer than the previous procedure you had since it involved surgery around the airway. I consider it even safer than doing the procedure under local with sedation which I stopped doing over 20 years ago because of safety issues. With general anesthesia, the anesthesiologist has control of your airway and oxygenation and, because the sedating meds are metabolized slowly, there is generally less nausea post op.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug

hello! the answer is simple. general anesthesia is extemely safe. always make sure your surgeon and anesthesiologist are board certified. best of luck! Dr Whetstone

Safety of Breast Augmentation

Based on the simple facts that you seem to be a healthy, young lady that has already undergone general anesthesia you should be just fine. Simple blood work will also determine that you are eligible for surgery. Do your research to make sure you are using a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that operates at an accredited facility. But you will do great!

David Rosenstein, MD
Boynton Beach Plastic Surgeon

BA Surgery and Safety

Thank you for your question. You should be fine as long as you have a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and anesthesiologist as the operation should take around 1-1.5 hours with minimum blood loss. You have had general anesthesia before as well and done fine with this.

Sincerely,

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon