Risk to be getting a Vaginoplasty at 26 years old and never had kids? (Photo)

For several years I thought my LABIA MINORA was OVER GROWN and as I get older I feel it keeps growing. All I really want done is a trim of my labia. My question is are there any risk I should consider? Do you think I will benefit from a vaginoplasty?

Risks of Vaginoplasty

Thank you for your question. Like any surgery, vaginoplasty carries a low chance of general risks such as bleeding, infection or a reaction to anesthesia. More serious difficulties are rare but still possible, and include concerns such as permanent changes in feeling/excited feeling. Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Prior to Childbearing

A #candidate for a #Labiaplasty procedure is one concerned about the appearance of her labia or experiences pain and discomfort from large, long or uneven labia; usually of the inner lips or labia minora.
#Non-surgical treatments with #Thermiva radiofrequency can reduce the labia for some patients.Surgery is the most common treatment and this problem can usually be corrected in less than one hour with a local anaesthetic. Many women feel more comfortable and relaxed with a quick twilight or general anaesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. Some procedures may include treatment of the clitoris or clitoral hood to further enhance this region.
There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life.
However, if one is planning on growing their family, it may be best to postpone any of the procedures until after. Certainly there isn't any harm in undergoing vaginal rejuvenation prior to childbirth. Nevertheless, the birthing process(es) may negate some of the results of the rejuvenation, unless a C-section is involved, of course. Therefore, postponing the procedure(s) until after bearing children may be a better decision for some women.

Vaginoplasty needed?

It appears you may be inquiring about labiaplasty and not vaginoplasty. Vaginoplasty is to tighten the inside of the vagina for women that suffer from vaginal laxity and less sensation after intercourse. Labiaplasty is the reduction of the labia minora and prepuce (folds around clitoral hood) and is a cosmetic procedure of the outside of the vagina. These terms often get confused! If you are having issues with the appearance of the labia or having discomfort or other symptoms, then yes you may benefit from labiaplasty. Many patients do have labiaplasty prior to having children and can still deliver vaginally with minimal risks of the cosmetic appearance of the labia changing following delivery(s). Make sure you consult w/ a surgeon that has EXTENSIVE experience in this field and extra training in Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery.

Robert D Moore, FACOG, FPMRS, FACS

Atlanta - Beverly Hills - Dubai

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Risk to be getting a Vaginoplasty at 26 years old and never had kids?

A labial reduction would seem reasonable based upon the photos.  Many patients have labiaplasty before having children.

Labiaplasty or Vaginoplasty for Overgrown Labia Minora

Most of the women that I treat for overgrown or enlarged labia minora have not yet had children. In my practice, and that of most others, it's pretty much the norm. The procedure which corrects this situation is called a labiaplasty, or labia minorplasty. A vaginoplasty, on the other hand, is an operation which tightens the vaginal canal & that procedure is usually done on women who have experienced loosening of the vagina from having vaginal childbirth.

Vaginoplasty versus labiaplasty

The term vaginoplasty is reserved for surgery done inside the vagina. If you have not had kids it would be very unusual to have a vaginoplasty.  A labiaplasty will address issues of the labia minora. The link below has some anatomy within it. In addition, the video attached describes the differences between vaginoplasty and labiaplasty. Best,

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Labiaplasty

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora are enlarged but not massively enlarged. A labiaplasty can be a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Vaginoplasty/Labiaplasty Risks

To clarify the terminology, it sounds like the procedure you are interested in is a Labiaplasty, not a vaginoplasty.  The difference is that a Labiaplasty only addresses the size of the labia minora (making them smaller).  A vaginoplasty makes the vaginal canal tighter and is not often done on young women who have never had kids, because having a vaginal delivery afterwards could un-do that surgery.  From looking at the photos, I would recommend a Labiaplasty, possibly also a clitoral hood reduction, and also possibly fat-grafting to the labia majora, which would cause the majora to project equal to or past the minora.  The risks of any of these cosmetic gynecological procedures are all similar: infection, asymmetry, prolonged post-operative pain, and painful intercourse.  Vaginoplasty is the only one of these that really should not be performed on a woman who may become pregnant in the future, because of the high risk of failure in those who have a subsequent vaginal delivery.  I hope you will find my answer to be helpful as you consider the best option for yourself.

Vaginoplasty vs labiaplasty

Good afternoon!

Good question- there are two different procedures we perform- vaginoplasty that alters the size of your vagina, and labiaplasty that reshapes the labia minora.  These procedures can be performed together or separately.

Vaginoplasty is most cases is reserved for women who have given birth vaginally and wish to have their canal made smaller again.  You being young and not having has any children yet makes it unlikely that you will need a vaginoplasty.

Labiaplasty is an option in women of any age or birthing status when the labia are too big and desire reduction for either cosmesis or clothing choices reasons.  With the surge in popularity of women wearing tight fitting pants such as yoga pants, these labia reducing procedures are becoming much more popular.  it can be performed under either local anesthesia or with light sedation, and one generally returns to desk type work after a long weekend.

It is important to see a surgeon with experience in these procedures- although pretty straight forward, there are a few pitfalls to avoid that can lead to ptoentially long term issues with comfort while wearing tight clothing or during intercourse.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS