How do I get rid of the sunken eye looking area under my eyes? (photos)

Feel like i look older than my age due to sunken eye look. Also a have droppy eye lids. And not happy with my lips. Especially the top lip looks too small

Doctor Answers 8

Sunken under eye area...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The sunken area that you see under your eye is actually a shadow being cast by by a small bulge of fat that has formed over time. The least invasive option to address your concern is non-surgically with fillers like restylane or belotero. The filler would be placed in the shadowed hollow so that it would be at the same level as the fat bulge to camouflage the problem. This would need to be repeated every 9-12 months or so.  Lip augmentation can also be accomplished with fillers.  I would recommend consultation with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon so that surgical alternatives may also be considered. I wish you well!

New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Sunken Eyes: Fillers vs Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you have sunken eyes, then filler can provide good improvement that lasts about one year. Surgery also works and is more permanent, but at a young age usually filler is the recommended start point. Filler can also help enhance the lips. Your photos do not show your droopy eyelid well. For an opinion about your eyelids see a board-certified facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon, since this is often a surgical problem.

Minas Constantinides, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Belotero Balance Works Well For Infraorbital Hollows ("Sunken Eye Look")

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Tear troughs, hollows (and dark circles) are common problems of the lower lids, which seems the case here. It has become standard practice to treat this region with lighter weight fillers, like Restylane Silk, in order to lift, straighten, and contour this region. Occasionally, if fillers are inadvertently placed too superficially within the delicate tissues of the under eye region, a bluish discoloration related to light scattering (a phenomenon known as the Tyndall Effect) can occur, which can be quite disconcerting and can likewise make dark circles, if also present, appear more prominent. Belotero Balance, a  hyaluronic acid-based product, has been manufactured to avoid this and is my first choice for treating tear troughs and hollows and lightening existing dark circles in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers and volumizers are available, I would opt for Teosyal Redensity II). . The infraorbital aesthetic unit is not for novice injectors accustomed to injecting simple smile lines with ordinary fillers, like Restylane or Juvederm. Only an experienced, board certified aesthetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon injector should attempt to treat this area in this fashion.From the photo, your lips and your brow area appear fine. However, closer photos and certainly an in-personal consultation would be the best and most appropriate way of determining what you truly need. Best of luck.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

How do I get rid of the sunken eye looking area under my eyes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Filler injection is a good predictable effective option to treat under eye hollowness (sunken eyes). See video and link below. Other options include fat injection, tear trough implant, and possibly lower blepharoplasty. See an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

How do I get rid of the sunken eye looking area under my eyes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello Wreyna84,The area that you are seeing is the tear trough area.  In your photo that area looks to be hollow which is what is giving you the appearance of your eyes.  I'd recommend using a hyaluronic acid filler with Restylane being my choice for that area.  That area can be prone to issues with injection if not done by a specialist, so I would recommend you only receive injections there from one of the core physician injectors such as a facial plastic surgeon.  I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Sunken lower eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are a number of procedures that improve the contour of the lower eyelids and other areas including surgery, fillers and even laser skin tightening.  Each depends on the needs of the patient and the expertise of the treating physician.  In this instance the easiest would be to use some filler (probably hyaluronic acid HA), but there are risks and advantages/disadvantages of each technique and thus a patient should seek consultation from a therapist who is proficient in many procedures to get the best advice.

Richard O. Gregory, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

How do I get rid of the sunken eye looking area under my eyes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Most expert experienced artistic plastic surgeons have a variety of procedures, both non-surgical and surgical, at their disposal to produce excellent cosmetic results in the appropriately selected patient: neurotoxins (Botox or Dysport), temporary fillers like Restylane, long lasting micro-fat grafts, blepharoplasties, and combinations of procedures. There is no one best procedure. Each has benefits and drawbacks and depends on desired outcome and individual anatomy.

In a patient your age, a temporary hyaluronic filler like Restylane   would be a reasonable place to start.The lips can also be conservatively augmented with similar fillers.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do without seeing photos and without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Correcting the depression of the lower lids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The sunken appearance of the lower lid is often called the Tear Trough or Nasojugal Line. This depression accentuates the bulging of the lower lid above it and the bulging cheek below it. It can be nicely smoothed with placement of Restylane filler creating a smoother less aged look. As regards the lips, they can be volumize with Juvederm or Restylane to fuller, poutier lips. 
Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN 

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.