How soon can you tell the results?

I'm 37 years old I've had three kids to Syrians I will be going to the Dominican republic on November 13 having the surgery done with Dr. Almontae i'm just wondering what is the healing process how long is it before you see the results handsome can you really start moving around and getting out

Flattening of the abdomen following TT is immediate

Thanks for your question. Immediately after a TT you can appreciate a flatter tummy. The waistline is usually corrected as well by adding liposuction to the hip areas posteriorly. Recovery is 1-2 weeks before driving and running errands in most people. Usually people who have a desk job can return in 10-14days but they may still have poor stamina. Your surgeon should be able to explain their experience with their patients. Leaving the country for this is ill advised as has been stated. Even a minor complication would be hard to get help with by someone other than your surgeon. Best of Luck!

Tummy Tuck Recovery

Recovery from a tummy tuck is going to vary. In general, expect to take 2-3 weeks off your normal activities and swelling may persist for up to 6 months. However, you should see an improvement before then. Having said that, I would advise you to think twice about having a tummy tuck done out of your area. The recovery requires a lot of follow up care and all you have to do is peruse this site to see some of the tragic consequences that patients experience when they have their surgeries out of the country. Hope this helps.

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

A Word of Caution

With medical tourism increasing in popularity, patients should exercise extreme caution when choosing to leave the country for their surgery.  Quite often, our office receives calls from patients who have surgery outside of the country and now suffer from a complication.  It may be very difficult to find a doctor stateside to provide follow-up care.  While most tummy tucks go uncomplicated, I have experience with at least two disasters treated in the Dominican Republic.  That being said, the first week following an abdominoplasty is usually the worst.  Most patients are certainly functioning at three weeks' out and within six to eight weeks you should be feeling normal.  While it will take some time for the scar to settle down, you should see results immediately.  If liposuction was added, it will take longer, perhaps up to three months for the final result to become apparent. 

Raymond O. Schultz, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after an abdominoplasty varies, but you should start walking immediately.  You will probably be swollen for months and won't see your final result until 1 year. 

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon