Redness around breast augmentation incision 1. Day post op. Any suggestions? (photos)

Went to PS today and he mentioned the redness around my incision. Didn't seem too concerned, but I'm getting uncomfortable knowing its there. Anything I can do at home to help?

Redness

Being on both breast in a symmetrical location and only 1 day post surgery it looks more like a reaction to the adhesive tapes that I assume were longer than and on top of the steristrips - you may need to change to a different tape like Mefix or Hypafix/ fixamul

Obviously if the redness worsens and the breast swells you should see your surgeon again

Redness around incision following breast augmentation

Based on the photos, your results are normal for this early out. However, the skin does appear irritated likely due to the steristrips or adhesive around the incision. Keep an eye on the area and if it appears to worsen contact your PS. If you are experiencing an allergy to the tape or adhesive he/she will give you instructions to help reduce the irritation. 

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

Needs follow-up

This will need careful follow-up by you and your surgeon.  Arrange for them to see you or evaluate you photos each day till this resolves. 

Redness at incision POD 1 From BAM

Hi hanbutler

It is very unlikely that you have an infection at one day, especially given that your PS was satisfied.

I would recommend that you keep an eye on it.  It looks like a rash to me, which is likely caused by the adhesives to help your steri-strips stay on.  If you have skin sensitivity to it, the rash may get worse.  If it gets worse, contact your doctor.

Your results otherwise at day 1 look great.

Sek

Post Op Day 1

Hello and thank you for your question and photographs.  Based on your photos, you are healing well.  It is normal to have some blood accumulation and scabs on your inframammary incisions.  Continue with your post-operative restrictions as non-compliance can certainly evoke post-operative complications.  Additionally, keep your plastic surgeon in the loop with your concerns.  I hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Jon Paul Trevisani, MD, FACS
Maitland Plastic Surgeon

Early breast augmentation concern

Thanks for your inquiry.  Sorry for anxiety.  The most important thing is for you to continue to closely follow up with your surgeon.  The lack of concern by him/her is good and please do not try any home remedies or any maneuvers without your surgeon's consent and supervision.  

Redness

You could have a sensitivity to the steri strips. It may resolve with no issue but if redness becomes worse, blisters or itching appear, let your plastic surgeon know and they will likely advise you to remove them.

All the best 

Most likely fine

Most likely that is an irritation from the steri strips or glue.  Does not look like an infection.  I would follow up with your surgeon.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS