Would you recommend Saline implants for thin patients? (Photo)

I am in the process of looking for a doctor for my revision/implant exchange. I am unhappy with the size and unevenness of my implants 325/350cc natrelle style 20. My bWd is only 10.5. One doctor suggested a HP Saline filled to 425cc. Does Saline look good on very thin people or should I stick to Silicone? Another doctor recommended 550cc UHP silicone...

Saline implants for thin patients?

I am not sure what type of implants you currently have? Also, are you wanting to go larger? Either way I would stick with silicone since you are so thin and had little breast tissue to start with (based on photo).  If it is larger implant with more fullness on the top of the breasts that you want then 550 ultra high profile might work.  For best answer you need an in person consultation.  Seek an opinion from some Board certified plastic surgeons who do a lot of revision breast surgery.  Best of luck to you

Saline Implants Are More Palpable . Wrinkles more Likely.

If you have silicone implants now, then I would recommend that you stay with silicone implants. Saline implants in thin patients can certainly be more palpable and the chance of feeling a wrinkle or seeing a wrinkle is greatly increased over silicone.

Your breast shape is very nice.  There is some asymmetry and this could be corrected with a differential augmentation. 

With style 20 implants you already have high profile implants. You stated that you would like to go larger. To do this, you may wish to consider either an ultra high profile round implant, or go to a shaped anatomic implant to better customize the size and shape to your chest wall. 

Would you recommend Saline implants for thin patients?

Thank you for the question and pictures. No, generally speaking, best to utilize silicone gel breast implants for "thin patients".  My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Communicate your goals carefully as well. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long-term.

Saline or silicone implants? Some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

i recommend you Cohesive Gel - Silicone Breast Implants with textured cover ("gummy bear implants".
They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and most natural appearance than Saline implants.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question.  You appear to have a very nice result at this point.  Given your small base width, the  range of implant sizes available to you is also small. Although you will probably find a surgeon to place any size implant you want, that doesn't mean it is the right implant for you.  Implant size is or should be limited to within a centimeter of your base width.  There would be no advantage for you to go with a saline implant over a silicone implant from an aesthetic standpoint.  

Saline implants in thin patients

You have an excellent result already and going any larger will put you at risk for over stretching problems.  In general, you need some pretty good soft tissue to help hide the ripples that can be seen with salines.  I would not recommend them for you.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Silicone is better in thin patients

In my experience, silicone gel implants are better in general in in patients with little or no overlying breast tissue. You can grossly overfill a saline implant such that it does not wrinkle but this implant feel very firm and not very breast like. I found that the Natrelle Inspira breast implant with more fill volume of gel will collapse less in the upper pole and have less visible wrinkles in the cleavage area. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Silicone in general is better for thin patients

Good morning!

Looking at your photos, while you do have a pretty good result, I agree that your implant is a bit narrow for your frame- it would likely benefit from a revision with an implant exchange to silicone with a different profile.  The silicone implant will give a woman with thin tissue like you a much more natural feel and minimize any rippling.

You breast implants are sitting a bit uneven- but if you look at your preoperative photo- your right breast mound and nipple is higher than the left- something augmentation surgery alone will improve but will not correct completely.

Please be aware of this before investing more money in revision augmentation surgery.

Be sure to see a surgeon that is well versed in detecting and improving upon these type of asymmetries.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

Silicone better than saline implants for thin patient

Saline implants tend to ripple more unless they are overfilled, in which case they will feel unnaturally firm and look too round and fake. A high fill ratio silicone gel implant such as Allergan Inspira will be best. The profile will depend on the desired size (volume) and your base diameter.

Richard Baxter, MD

Best Breast Implant

I would agree that a HP or even UHP implant will probably be needed to fit your narrow BWD.  In order to get your top half proportional, I would also agree on an implant at least 100cc bigger than you have now. One the volume is decided, the proper profile can be selected during your sizing process.

Realize that this is going to be tight, and your breast may have a more rounded and less natural look. You mentioned an asymmetrical look, and I do see a bit of that but in my book that seems acceptable and could be hard to correct to get a 100 perfect match.  Of course an exam is needed to make a final decision.

I see no benefit to a saline implant over gel, with the exception of a shorter scar.  Gel are more durable, more natural feeling, and less prone to visible rippling and wrinkling.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS