Is puffiness common -4 weeks post 2nd stage breast reconstruction?

i had 2nd stage reconstruction 9/1/16. Expanders switched out for silicone implants after bilateral mast. in Oct. 2015. My right side (cancer & radiated side) is pretty puffy still. it's my actual side -right above bra strap. Is this normal? i feel great but worried this is lymphodema rather than normal surgery side effects. My left side (non radiated) is normal. I'm super active- but have been avoiding lifting heavy things etc. i'm 400 in great health (um besides the whole cancer thing)

Swelling after Breast Reconstruction

It sounds like you had implants swapped out after having received radiation, which always leads to some issues, including delayed healing, infection, capsular contracture, for example.  If all you have currently is some swelling and nothing else, I'd say you're actually doing pretty well, and you need to give it more time.  You could attempt some lymphatic massaging, but it will likely just take some time to go away.  

Swelling after breast reconstruction

Swelling after breast surgery can take up to 6 months to resolve. However, it is important for you to see your surgeon and have him or her examine you to make sure there is nothing else going on. Good luck! 

Michelle Lee, MD
Warrenville Physician