What procedure(s) should I undergo to change the appearance of my breasts? (Photos)

My breasts lie flat against my chest, and at times feel quite heavy. Also I have very very large areolas.

What procedure(s) should I undergo to change the appearance of my breasts?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description and photos, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Of course, definitive assessment and advice would require in person evaluation.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.
Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.
Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.
To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction

Hello and thank you for your question in the photos. Based upon your concerns a breast reduction would be your best option. Both breast reductions and breast lift reshape the breast and remove the excess skin. The difference between the two procedures is that in a breast reduction excess breast tissue is also removed making the breast overall smaller. Given your concerns about the heaviness the reduction would seem to be the better choice. In both cases the size of your areola would also be reduced. You should take several consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area before making any final decisions.As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure your health care concerns are managed by your primary care physician.Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos which show severe breast ptosis (sagging) and large areolas, you would benefit from a breast lift.  This would lift your breasts and nipple positions, reduce the areola, round out the breasts and make them perkier and improve symmetry.  If you also want your breasts smaller, a reduction can be performed.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS