What is the best procedure for a tight strong jaw line and neck? (Photos)

You appear to be too young for surgical lifting - you can improve neck contour with weight loss, and maybe liposculpture

Thank you for your question. You submitted 3 photos asking about the best way to get a tight neck and jawline, and how to improve the appearance in this area. With the photos you submitted, I can see enough to give you some guidance like how I discuss this with my patients in my practice.

To give you a little background: I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I’ve been in practice in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years and facial rejuvenation is a big part of my practice, and people wanting to see better definition of facial features, whether it’s cheekbones, jawline, and neck are very common issues.

In the context of the limited views of your photos, I’ll give you first some global understanding of how I have a discussion with patients, then I’ll give you some ideas of what I’ve done for people in specific, unique scenarios , as well as more common scenarios.

Let’s begin with your baseline appearance. Has this always been an issue for you? How well-defined has your neck been? Is this a family trait? Often, people will say that in their family, everyone has this volume under their chin, or all have short necks, or that type of scenario. Another circumstance that affects the definition is physical weight -some people tend to gain volume in their cheek and neck areas. There are also people who can be fit otherwise, but still not have good definition around this area, so I want to help you distinguish a bit the difference between tight and defined.

In your situation, I think what you want is better structural definition. I think it’s a little too early for you to have a lifting procedure as you are relatively young. The procedure that can define this area is perhaps liposuction, with the skin having a tendency to retract when fat is reduced in some critical areas, then you get that definition. I always explain to patients that a young face is not a tight face, and an attractive face is not a tight face - it is really about definition. I think it is very straightforward that a liposculpting procedure is beneficial.

One thing I really want you to understand is fat isn’t completely the enemy. Fat in the wrong places can be sculpted, and fat is very important for youthful skin to have a certain amount just below the skin to create a nice, soft, youthful look. One of the unfortunate realities of surgery done very aggressively is it can result in wrinkling and aged appearance of the skin. When you look at a young person, a teenager, a child, or someone in their 20s, they have this nice look of smoothness and softness reflective of several factors, but one major factor is often referred to as baby fat, which  is the fat layer under the skin.

I would say in situation like yours, if you have any plans to lose weight, I would say reevaluate after the weight loss. The reason is often when people lose weight, they tend to lose weight in their face, which is like self-lipo, so by just reducing fat globally, they get better definition. If someone is pretty close to their ideal weight, or they don’t expect to lose weight any time soon, then strategic liposuction can be an option. We had a patient who was planning to get married in a few months, and she was at a certain weight that wasn’t going to change much in that timeframe, so for her this procedure turned out to be perfect. Liposuction really defined her face and neck in a way that would really work favorably for her.

I think the take home message here is first, is there a more global issue with the distribution of fat, and if so, is there something you can address holistically with weight loss? Two, if that isn’t the situation and you are likely to stay at a certain weight for the long-term, or for the next few years, then liposuction at this point is likely to be of value to you.

Meet with qualified, experienced cosmetic surgeons and decide who you are comfortable with and how you want this done. We generally do this procedure under local anesthesia with very light sedation - it is a very straightforward procedure that doesn’t take long to do. It is an art, with the talent to take some fat out, and leave some behind just to get the best sculpting and contour. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. Surgical options include the neck lift and the laser-assisted weekend neck lift while non-surgical options include liposculpture, and injectibles, the best of which is Kybella. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tight strong jawlines/necks can be achieved by a couple of ways.

Getting rid of the fat by liposuction under local is the easiest and quickest method but usually won't give that really nice tight jawline. You will need a lower face/neck lift which again is under local with a little iv sedation and is easy to undergo.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

UAL cervical facial

Please seek an in person consultation, you may be a candidate for simple liposuction of the area. Liposuction of the cervical facial area is usually done in one hour under local IV sedation. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!  Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery #realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #cervicalfacial

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

The most effective way to improve your neck/jawline contour (based on the limited photos you posted) would be a mid-face/necklift with would include  liposuctioning of the area under your chin. This would allow for removal of excess fatty tissue as well as tightening of the muscles and fascia of your face and neck. These tend to be very effective and long lasting procedures in most cases.

David A. Caplin, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Neck fullness treatment

Your primary problem appears to be fullness in your neck related to deposits of fat.  This can be addressed with liposuction. In many patients, liposuction of the neck is combined with a neck lift to remove excess skin . You would need to be seen and examined to determine which is best for you.Although Kybella works for isolated deposits of submental fat, it is not ideal for more diffuse areas of fullness.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck tightening

For younger patients with a double chin, liposuction possibly combined with skin tightening works best. You can also consider kybella, but multiple treatments are required. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella

Combination treatments including VASER hi-def liposuction, RF skin tightening, and botox can help.  Fillers or fat transfer can be used later to further define the jawline. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Surgical option

You will achieve your best results with a surgical option.  Because of the bulkiness of your submental neck, a non surgical option would not achieve the same results.  Its best to see a board certified and experienced surgeon who deals mainly with the face.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower face and neck lift for a tight strong jawline and neck.

When rejuvenating the neck, it is important to be at your ideal body weight.    In our practice, a lower face and neck lift accomplishes tightening loose facial and neck skin,  tightening loose facial and neck muscles, lifting the jowls, and removal of fatty deposits in the neck.    For more information and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below