Do I have a Polly beak deformity? (photos)

I had my surgery 07/15/2016. I have yet to get the splint off, but judging from pictures does it look like there is a deformity potentially going to happen?

Do I have a Polly beak deformity?

Hello Softthrowaway,
You are not yet a week out from surgery and still have your nasal splint/dressing on.  At this point there would be no way to determine if you are at risk for a pollybeak deformity.  Even once the tape comes off there will likely be some swelling. You will have a better idea of what your nose will look like in about 2 weeks, but even then it takes up to a year to see the final result.  If there is evidence that a pollybeak is starting to develop during the healing process then there are treatments that can be done depending on the cause.   I would recommend you focus simply on your healing and following your surgeon's recommendations. 
I hope this helps and good luck.  

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Polly beak immediately after surgery

The pre-operative photos appears to show a projected septum, not a polly beak. Polly beaks most commonly occur after aggressive resection of underlying nasal framework in a nose with thick skin. Thick enough that the skin doesn't have the contractility to then 'shrink wrap' around the much smaller nasal structure and 'balls up' without any definition. Difficult to be confident, but the post-operative photos appear to show either an under-resected bridge, overly tight taping, overly de-projected tip or a Polly beak. If the nose was significantly de-projected, then a polly beak is more likely, but that's hard to judge from the photos unfortunately. Examination and review of the operative notes is necessary to be precise. A return to the operating surgeon is recommended.

Post-op changes

Thanks for your question. You certainly had a pollybeak before your procedure. It takes the skin several months to shrink-wrap down against the new nasal skeleton following surgery. At this point, just focus on following your surgeon's instructions. Good luck.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Polly beak deformity

From your preoperative photo, you appear to have a tension septum. A pollybeak deformity can be caused by excess cartilage, soft tissue, or scarring and is most often seen in thick skinned patients postoperatively. With a splint on, you cannot predict postoperative results and even when removed, it takes months to a year to get your final result. Good luck to you!.

Eric J. Yavrouian, MD
Glendale Facial Plastic Surgeon

NO POLLY BEAK DEFORMITY

Dear softthrowaway, No you do not have any polly beak deformity showing as you are still in the immediate recovery period where no scar tissue would be addressed at this time. Give this some time!!  Hopefully you will be thrilled with your results. Your surgeon knows best what was promised in the proposed results so speak with your surgeon with your concerns and walk the walk of recovery with him/her to keep you at a peace of mind and reduced stress. This is a process and remember time is on your side! Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Polly beak issue

Polly beak deformity can be assessed only as a long term result of rhinoplasty once the skin and soft tissue has contracted over the nasal skeleton and most experts believe that it will require one year in minimum for that phenomenon to settle. There will be maturation and redraping of the soft tissue in the next following months that will ultimately determine your final results. At this point I would follow your surgoun's post operative instructions meticulously.I hope this helps and good luck.

Jacob Sedgh, MD

Do I have a Polly beak deformity?

Hello softhrowaway, Thanks for your question. It is impossible to tell you whether you have a polly beak deformity with tape on the nose. It looks like you only have a tape splint and not a hard splint. Is that actually the case?  If your splint isn't ready to be removed, then you are probably seeing a lot of swelling.  I would speak with your surgeon about ways to keep swelling under control after the splint comes off.  In my practice, I have patients use night time taping techniques and soft tissue massage to shape the nose.  Your surgeon may do something similar.Be patient. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon