I'm looking for a plastic surgeon in Houston to perform breast augmentation/fix asymmetry. Any suggestions?

I live in Houston, so there are an abundance of surgeons to choose from. However, in looking through galleries of past work, I have yet to see a before picture with an issue similar to mine. I'm interested in getting a breast augmentation and also correcting asymmetrical aerolas ( in both size and placement on the breasts). Are most plastic surgeons comfortable with doing all I described, or is there a certain term for this procedure that I should be using in my search? Thank you in advance.

Breast augmentation and asymmetry

Some asymmetry is present in all women's breasts. If it is pronounced, possible correction may be indicated, remembering that not all asymmetries can be corrected, and with breast implants, because the breast size is increasing, this may actually magnify certain types of asymmetry. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help answer these questions, as an examination is necessary.

Sincerely,

Thomas C. Wiener, MD

This information is not a substitute for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Thanks for your question. Be assured that most women have some degree of breast asymmetry.  Two people never have the exact same issue or change they’re looking to make, so finding a “before and after” the same as yours will be difficult. Correction of the asymmetry by mastopexy in conjunction with breast enhancement by augmentation sounds like the answer to your concern. I suggest having a consultation with an ABPS certified surgeon who will analyze your condition and offer appropriate alternatives for correction. Best of luck. 

Norman H. Rappaport, MD

Do you research

A good relationship with your doctor is very important. I would advise doing several consultations with different doctors, getting a feel for the office and the staff and making sure you have a good rapport with the doctor. A surgery procedure isn't just one day of being at the doctor's office. You will be in touch with them and back for multiple follow up appointments, so make sure you enjoy being in the practice. Also, check to ensure they have all the board certifications and chat with others in the community to ask for recommendations. Good luck. 

Stephen J. Ronan, MD, FACS

Asymmetry

Dear Tanya112:   Asymmetries are quite common in cosmetic breast surgery.  Based on what you have written, it sounds like you will need a limited scar periareolar mastopexy to reduce your areolar size and address the nipple position.  This is commonly performed at the same time as your breast augmentation.  However, a formal consultation and physical exam is needed to give you any meaningful advice.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience with breast augmentation procedures in the asymmetric breast to learn more about your options.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Finding the right surgeon in Houston

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Aug with asymmetry

Finding a specific before and after picture that exactly replicates your situation can be tough, and isn't what galleries are typically for.  They're more for showing interested patients the style, or what kind of work, or artistic sense, that a certain PS has.  Additionally, before and after galleries take several years to accumulate.  You should focus on finding someone who is more able or willing to tailor their technique or approach for each individual patient.  Someone with the same before and after pics over and over might mean that the PS is not flexible, or it might not.  Anyway, I digress.  Without pics, it's hard to say specifically what I'd recommend, but nipple asymmetry and different positions can be dealt with by using a periareolar incision that reduces the areaola on one side, or lifts, etc.  The more moving parts, the more difficult it can be, and you may end up needing a small revision, at least in terms of the nipple.  It doesn't have to be done that way, but that's an option.  

Cain R. Linville, MD

Breast augmentation for a patient with nipple asymmetry

The majority of women have asymmetries in the size position and shape of their breasts.  Yours may be more extreme so I would recommend that you meet with several ABPS board-certified plastic surgeons preferably also members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASPS) to review your options.  This should include a review of photographs as well.  Once you are satisfied with your selected surgeon and the procedure recommended best wishes and good luck.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Always ask for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon before seeing your doctor.  It sounds like you would benefit from a circumareolar mastopexy augmentation if you need a correction of your areola size and augment.  Dr Forrest Roth is a doctor in Houston who Im sure would be happy to see you and discuss your concerns and interests.  Always feel free to take a short trip up to St Louis if you prefer, however. ;)  Good luck!

Christian A. Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery and who is also a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgery.  You can look at before/after pictures on their websites and Real Self pages prior to scheduling your consultations.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

It is hard to give you specific advice without at least seeing photos. Depending on the degree of your asymmetry, many PS may have done similar cases but just didn't put the before/after photos up in their gallery. Or your case may be unique enough that there isn't a case that is exactly like yours. My advice to you is to find a few board certified plastic surgeons and go for a consultation. This way you can hear more than one surgeon's advice/plan and compare/contrast to figure out which surgeon and plan best fits your personality and goals.

Erika Sato, MD, FACS