Am I the only person who thinks that doctors should just offer both CoolSculpting and Laser Lipo to obese patients?

Yes we may require a lot more treatments and the results may not be as dramatic, but for those of us who are struggling and want a jump start or even to see some loss as a motivation this could be the catalyst we need to get us through our weight loss journey. I've tried firsts and exercise and I truly believe I need more than just that. Are there any doctors who WILL perform this procedure on obese patients?

Coolsculpting or liposuction for obese

Thank you for your comment.  I hear your need, and there are many who share it. 

As providers, we balance several competing factors when deciding whether a patient is a candidate for a procedure:
1)  Will the procedure make a difference?  Liposuction and Coolsculpting will have a net effect of permanently removing fat cells from the body.  At most liposuction removes five to ten pounds of fat, and Coolsculpting much less than one or two pounds.  I would not consider these procedure the most cost-effective way to lose weight.
2)  Has the patient's weight been stable? Neither procedure will give good results if the patient's weight is slowly increasing.  For the price paid, patients are disappointed, or even angry, with subtle results.  It is very important for physician and patient that our expectations are aligned.
3)  Safety of the procedure:  Coolsculpting is a very safe procedure.  Liposuction has more risk given that it is more invasive.  Thus repeating Coolsculpting may be an option, but repeated liposuction means increased cumulative risk.

I have treated few patients that have stated that Liposuction or Coolsculpting is a means to jump start their journey into a healthier lifestyle (even those that are not obese).  Those that succeed with the healthy lifestyle are usually happy and may return to do additional body contouring such as a tummy tuck.  Others are disappointed that they didn't see as much change as they had hoped.

In our practice we also offer medically-managed weight management that we often combine as pre-procedural package or as post-procedural to help maintain the patient's shape after a procedure, whether it is Coolsculpting, liposuction or other body contouring procedures.

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
Coolsculpting can be used to remove certain areas but is niot a weight loss teratemtn 
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Coolsulpting and Liposuction in overweight patients

Cool Sculpting can work really well in conjunction with a weight loss program! It would be very costly particularly for an overweight patient due to the number of applicators and repeat treatments that would likely be required. Typically we tell patients that these treatments are not substitutes for surgical or nonsurgical fat reduction.  I agree with Oprah that our brains want our bodies to be a certain weight and surgery or CS does not change that.  Treated patients tend to drift back up to their pretreatment weight verses using it as a jumpstart to lose more weight.  In addition it is possible with surgery to create extra skin if too much fat is removed that needs to be addressed with a skin removal surgery. Good luck on your journey!

Dr Bengtson

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for Obese Patients

Coolsculpting is an excellent process for reducing a bulge in a given area by 25%.  The procedure was devised to treat patients who are within 20 pounds of their target weight and is not meant as a weight loss device.  If you get coolsculpting and you are obese you may not notice any effects and would be wasting your money.  

Coolsculpting and liposuction for the obese

I would recommend liposuction and Coolsculpting to help contour the body.  I spend a great deal of time setting expectation and helping my patients understand the limitations of both.  I have proceeded with surgery on patients who want to jump start their weight management journey, but I want them to feel confident that this is something that truly helps them achieve their goals as they are making a big investment in themselves.

Obesity and CS

I will not offer Coolsculpting or liposuction to my obese patients because I don't think they will get their money's worth.  I always have obese patients lose weight with referrals to people I have worked with myself.  Then they will get the results they were expecting after my procedure.  Lipo and CS are not weight loss procedures... they are for people in pretty good shape with stubborn areas of fat.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Liposuction and Coolsculpting For Those Overweight

I go over the expectations with my patients and have no problems doing liposuction or non invasive fat treatments for those who are interested in boosting their diet / exercise routines or getting rid of small amounts.  I suggest you see a body contouring specialist who is in line with your ultimate goals!  Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting and Liposiction for weight loss.

Thank you for your question. There seems to be some confusion regarding what CoolSculpting and Liposuction are intended for. These treatments are used mainly for contouring, not weight loss. It would be more worth your while to investigate programs or treatments geared toward weight loss.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Liposuction, Coolsculpting, and obesity

Since the rates of obesity have dramatically increased in recent years, many of us have relaxed our "rules" on liposuction.   Doing liposuction to jump start the weight loss process is not unreasonable.  However, you must realize that we are limited on the amount of fat that can be removed at one setting (unless you are willing to spend a night at a recovery care center).   That amount is 5 liters.   Additionally, liposuction is for contouring.   Most people don't loose a significant amount of weight following the procedure.   So, if the liposuction is being done to help the number on the bathroom scales, the results will be modest (at best).  Traditional liposuction or laser assisted liposuction can be utilized.  For Coolsculpting, when multiple areas require multiple treatments, the cost can become prohibitive for some patients. 

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon