Best options alarplasty or tip plasty..? (photos)

would like to know options. I am 20 years old and never really liked my nose. I had my nose straightened two years ago to fix a dorsel hump but I wanted more than the top. I have done tons of research as well as talked to a surgeon and he thinks that a smaller "BARBIE" like nose would be fake looking and look like i have had alot of work . Anyways would alarplasty and or tipplasty be best to just reduce the width of the nostrils ..? Im not interested in a full rhinoplasty.

Best option

Hello and thank you for your question!

Evaluating the photos you sent us, the best option would be an open rhinoplasty in terms of your desire to treat the tip of your nose. Now, the options are limited in terms of result, given that you do not wish a full rhinoplasty, because to give you a better look and make sure we can give you a smaller and more projected tip , a surgical approach would be needed.

Please visit a board certified plastic surgeon for further advice and the best, safest results.

Good luck!

Best options alarplasty or tip plasty..?

Hello Andygril123,

An alarplasty helps to narrow a wide nose at the base (the nostrils either flare out or start out wider).  A tip plasty helps to refine a tip that is either wide, bulbous, amorphous, bifid, asymmetric, etc.  I would agree with the surgeon you consulted with that your nose is nicely proportioned for you.  If you were to try and refine your nose more it would likely create more of an artificial appearance.  You may want to seek another consultation but oftentimes the more the less when it comes to rhinoplasty, especially with a revision rhinoplasty.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

An alar plasty is performed to narrow wide nostrils.  A tip-plasty is performed to narrow the nasal tip.  From the very limited photographs, the nose appears very well balanced, so maybe just leave well enough alone.  Performing too much skin removal with an alar-plasty can create nasal obstruction.