Is my only option at this point a revision? Can a good result be achieved or should I leave well enough alone? (Photo)

I am 4 months out of primary rhino and I'm really unhappy. My tip is very bulbous. My nose is wider than before surgery also very droopy. I've been getting monthly kenalog injections to try and reduce scar tissue from my developing pollybeak. At this point I'm frustrated. This was not at all what an envisioned as an "improvement". I have thick skin though so am I doomed to just not have a good result? Or is revision by a skilled facial plastic Doctor an option to having a much improved result?

Patience is Key Before Committing to a Revision Rhinoplasty

Four months after primary rhinoplasty, you are still early in your recovery. In thick-skinned patients, revision rhinoplasty should not be considered until the skin has softened completely. This is rarely earlier than one year after surgery. If your surgeon feels that Kenalog injections may be helpful, then do not ignore his advice. Kenalog at this stage can be very helpful in reducing scar so that revision surgery is easier, with a higher chance of success. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what advice he has. Revision rhinoplasty is always challenging, even more so in thick-skinned patients.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

REVISION RHINOPLASTY

Dear lookitscrystal, At this time it appears you will need a revision rhinoplasty and in expert hands  a more refined result can be achieved even with your thicker skin. Personally, I would recommend discontinuing the kenalog injections. You do not really have a "polly beak" deformity however you have several other issues with your result that will need addressing. While you will need to wait an entire year for revision surgery I would suggest seeking some second opinions from some expert surgeons who will be able to discuss your concerns and show you the possibilities that revision surgery will provide. It is my belief that you can have an excellent result with revision surgery. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty Concerns

I am sorry to hear that your primary rhinoplasty results fell somewhat short of your expectations. Fortunately, you may benefit from a revision rhinoplasty procedure to address your issues and concerns. It may be too soon in your recovery to schedule this procedure, as typically in my own practice, I would consider performing a revision rhinoplasty no sooner than 6-12 months from the original surgery for most cases. I have extensive revision rhinoplasty experience and would be happy to assist you. 

Please consider scheduling a complete consultation with me or another Facial Plastic Surgeon for recommendations as how to best proceed. It may also be helpful to review your original photos, clinic notes and operative reports to best plan for your revision. Tip support, profile enhancement, droopy noses, length and other concerns may be helped via a second procedure, even in patients with thicker skin. Best Regards. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon