Opinions on B/A in an office operating room?

My plastic surgeon performs his surgeries in an AAAASF Accredited Operating Room, but I have the option of getting it done in a hospital setting. Also, the Doctor's office is a Class C (General anesthesia, TIVA and Propofol). Could anyone explain that? When my mom (who has been a nurse for 25 years) heard about this doctor operating in an office, she said I should not do it in case something went wrong. Thinking about it now, it makes me nervous too. I would like to hear some Doctor's opinions.

The published scientific data from the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) shows that surgery in an office-based facility in the appropriately selected patient with a well trained appropriate anesthesia provider is safe. Many plastic surgeons who operate in accredited office based facilities have board certified M.D. anesthesiologists perform the… SHOW MORE anesthesia. Either an anesthesiologist or a CRNA is required to provide the anesthesia in a Class C AAAASF accredited facility.  Complications, while unlikely, can occur in any surgical setting, including a hospital. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for surgery in an office-based surgical facility depends on your anatomy, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the procedures.

Appropriately accredited office based facilities are generally more cost effective, more convenient for the patient, have dedicated staff who are trained to provide care for the specific procedures, usually only do "clean cases", have less interruptions of the surgical schedules, and are more indulgent of patient privacy. A recent published study reported that the rate of infections in plastic surgery procedures performed in accredited office based surgical facilities was lower than in hospitals or free standing ambulatory facilities.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Surgery Suite Accreditation

It is very difficult to obtain AAAASF accreditation, there are very strict guidelines that must be met to obtain this status.  That would include a board certified surgeon, board certified anesthesia personnel and ACLS/BLS trained nurses.  Plus, the doctor is using his own hand picked staff that perform the same procedures over and over again.

In a hospital setting, you might get nursing/anesthesia personnel who have never seen a breast implant surgery, or worse, students still in training.  Hospitals have sick people in them, the doctor's ambulatory surgery suite doesn't and won't have any sick people in it.  The infection rate in the hospital is much higher.

Don't kid yourself, you are much better off in your doctor's office than the hospital.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Opinions on breast augmntation in an office operating room?

I have always operated in a hospital OR because of the ready availability of support if you have a complication. I share your mothers concern and it sounds as though you are concerned as well. For your psychological comfort the hospital may be a better choice.

AAAASF accredited office for breast augmentation is BETTER than a hospital

AAAASF requires the use of doctors for anesthesia and there is literally a phone book thick set of regulations that must be 100% complied with to obtain this top certification. In this setting, the doctor has all their own staff (not true in a hospital) and they all know exactly what to do to make the experience best, also not true in a hospital. They control the pricing and the scheduling is also much tighter. Unless you have a medical condition that increases the risk of surgery, most would agree that a breast augmentation is better done in a AAAASF facility than a hospital.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Patients that are otherwise healthy and fit may be candidates for having surgery in a facility that is properly accredited. If you have concerns I would make sure the facility is properly accredited first. If you prefer you may still be able to request having your procedure performed at the hospital. This often times comes with a higher price depending on the hospitals fees

Best Wishes 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician