What are the openings around my areola?

It started about two weeks ago. A small opening and now there is more. I'm really concerned.

What's going on?

Hi.  The reaction you see is most likely secondary to underlying sutures working their way through the skin.  The wound won't heal properly until the spitting suture is removed.  This will probably continue as you see more sutures presenting through the skin.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  This isn't uncommon with the type of incision you have.  It will improve with care.  Good luck!

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Spitting stitches

It looks as if you have what we call spitting stitches. Make an appointment to see your surgeon so that he or she can remove the material that is causing the open wound. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

What are the openings around my areola?

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please follow up with your surgeon for evaluation and wound care management.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Openings around areola

Hello dear, Thank you for your question, the first thing that I can recommend is to see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation and if you are smoking is better to stop doing it, because smoking will delay healing. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

What are the openings around my areola?

Those openings look like suture granulomas (AKA "Stitch abscesses). Dissolving sutures are used in all cases. Those sutures are dissolved by your body' healing through a process of inflammation. Sometimes, those sutures will erode through the skin while dissolving. Your surgeon can remove this eroding sutures at any time. Not a big problem. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Openings areound the areola

You have a number of small openings consistent with suture abscesses along your areola. This generally heals without issue once the suture which is being pushed out by your body comes out completely.  Sometimes this requires removal in the office.  This is usually not due to an infection.  Your body is simply rejecting the suture as you are healing.  Make sure to communicate with your plastic surgeon about your concerns so that he/she can best advise you on how to care for the area.  Some drainage is expected so an absorbent pad or guaze placed over top will help control this.  Avoid use of adhesives directly on the irritated skin.

Best of Luck!

Dr. Rednam

Rukmini V. Rednam, MD

Stitch abscesses around the areola will heal

Thank you for your question and photograph. You have several suture abscesses which open up to the surface to drain. They will heal after the sutures come out.  See your surgeon to remove any exposed sutures. Do not tape over these. It is best to use an absorbent gauze and change it twice a day. After they have closed completely, you can resume taping or silicone sheeting for the scars.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Surgical incision opening up

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation incision.

• Please see your surgeon -
  • This may be sutures being rejected as you heal.
  • If not, the cause of the problem needs to be determined.
  • If you smoke anything, please- any smoking can delay healing.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Wound on areola

Thanks for your inquiry and picture.  If you use nicotine, please stop.  It is possible that some absorbable stitches are "spitting out". Please discuss with yuor plastic surgeon.  

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Small openings along incision

Dorrance, sorry to hear that you are having difficulty healing and that it is causing you distress.  As suggested by other practitioners, this is not uncommon and can be related to tension on the suture line from the implant or "spitting" sutures.  While this usually heals well with conservative wound care, it is important for you to be evaluated by your operative surgeon promptly.  They will want to assess and confirm that these openings are superficial and do not track back to the implant.  If they do, the exposed implant would be prone to infection, and more aggressive care may be indicated.  They will also want to make certain that there are no suture remnants in the small openings, as the foreign body will prevent the wounds from healing.  While your incision needs attention, rest assured that most patients who experience this problem do great, and it usually does not compromise the outcome of your surgery!  Best of luck.

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon