Neck skin laxity after Vertical lift. (photos)

I recently (1 month ago) had a Vertical Lift which included lower face and neck. My doctor said he didn't like to do a reduction of neck skin only tightening the muscles. I can't understand if you have skin laxity how only tightening muscle will help this? I spent $7500 and would have had no problem doing so until I saw no improvement in my neck. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful...or is this the best I can hope for?!

Neck Laxity after Facelift

HI Cynthia, 

You are correct, excess skin in the neck will not improve unless it is removed. I do not feel any minimally invasive treatment will give you a significant result based on the amount of skin you have on your pictures. 

Javad Sajan, MD

Seattle Physician

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- Neck Lift, VASER Hi Def Lipo/ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport, Kybella

Typically muscle and skin are repaired together.  To improve crepe skin, surgery isn't useful. you need laser treatments and external skin tightening like thermage/Ultherapy/Exilis ultra/venus legacy.  Please see an expert for a consultaiton.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Neck laxity

At this point in time, you'll need to wait at least 6-8 mos to let the tissues heal from this procedure. Then you can be re-evaluated and I would suggest 2-3 separate opinions. You'll probably need elevation of the neck skin and possible liposuction in that area in conjunction with a revision lower face lift with an incision in front of and behind the ear to obtain a good neck tightening.

Robert J. Smyth, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Needs posterior lift

A vertical lift is great for the face, but posterior lifting (behind the ear) is needed to firm and tighten lax neck tissues.

Excess lax skin after "vertical neck lift"?

When someone has too much lax skin in their neck the only way to fix this is to remove skin in my opinion. See an experienced facelift surgeon to discuss your options.

Neck skin laxity

Not every patient needs any skin removed in order to improve laxity of the neck. It depends a lot on the age and skin quality, and whether or not there is any elasticity that can lead to improvement as the skin heals and contracts. There are good reasons to avoid skin excision when possible (although I can understand that logically to most patients it would seem to be necessary always). That said, if you are not accomplishing the degree of improvement you want, then it may be necessary to revise, and be more aggressive with skin redraping, and excision. This will necessitate longer incisions and thus scars, which can typically be hidden behind the ears and into the hairline.

Patrick J. Byrne, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck skin laxity after Vertical lift.

Hello Cynthiascott,I would say that you are correct in your assumption.  If you have laxity of the skin, then you need to remove skin in addition to tightening the muscles to achieve the desired result.  Having said that, you are only one month out.  At this point not much would be done other than to continue to monitor your healing.  So you should be following up with your surgeon and express your concerns.  Starting at 6 months if it looks like things are not improving (which based on your description it probably will not be), then you can consider a second procedure to address your lax skin.  This would be more of a true "neck lift" in order to remove the excess skin, and possibly further tighten the muscles in that area depending on what was originally done.  Since your surgeon didn't do this the first time, if you are considering a second procedure I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon in addition to discussing this with your original surgeon. I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon