Can my mild tuberous breasts be corrected?

After meeting with my ps we decided on 600cc high profile silicone. I am 5'3 155 lbs and my breast width is 14.5. Currently a 36-38 b. I have slightly tuberous breasts. I really want to achieve a nice full lower pole and all together have a significantly bigger chest. My ps is suggesting under muscle and below the nipple incision w/ muscle scoring to open and create a better pocket for my breasts. I can't wait I'm just hoping the vision of nice round breasts isn't too good to be true.

Creating a “full lower pole” in a slightly tuberous breast may be achieved in some cases depending on the tightness of the inferior pole and how long the distance is from the nipple/areola complex to the fold.
Usually, muscle scoring is necessary and if the tuberosity is mild this may allow the implant to fall properly and shape smoothly. Generally, I like to select a base diameter in the implant that is smaller than what a patient measures so that rather than widening the chest (usually making a patient appear to be heavier), the volume projects forward and is more shapely. 600cc does seem like a large volume for your frame, however, only an examination and some measurements in the office done after observing photos of women’s breasts that you like and do not like could this decision be made. You and your plastic surgeon have likely already accomplished this discussion. The relatively new to the market textured silicone implant (made by Sientra) is allowing me to accomplish a nicely shaped breast when placed above the muscle, as well, minimizing the possibility of muscle banding that can occur in the lower pole when implants are placed beneath the muscle.
-Dr. Steve Byrd

Mildy tuberous breasts advice

Hi and thanks for the question. It is impossible to give you the best advice without a full clinical examination, however you have chosen large implants which is a personal choice for you based on your aim from surgery. Larger implants are associated with increased risks including bottoming out, thinning of the breast gland with implant palpability and carrying around the extra weight 24/7! Yes release of a tight lower breast pole seems reasonable. Often a pouty areola may benefit from reduction/tightening but see the results from implants first and discuss with your PS. Good luck 

Sultan Hassan, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Slightly Tuberous Breasts

That is a very large implant, but it is difficult to make a determination of the proper implant size without an examination.  As for your slightly tuberous breasts, it can most likely be corrected, but again an exam would be necessary.  It is likely that some type of release of the inframammary crease would be beneficial.  

Laurence Weider, MD

Tuberous Breast

Tuberous breast are a type if constructed breast deformity with a narrower base width, tight inframammary folds, a short distance from the fold to the nipple, and enlarged areolae with hernia toon of breast tissue into the areolae. There are milder versions of constricted breast that only have tight folds. The treatment plan is different depending on the degree of the deformity. Not every patient needs scoring of their tissues. I agree that your potential implant size is quite large for your frame and could create problems.

Can my mild tuberous breasts be corrected

600cc implants are very large for someone with your frame. Scoring the muscle to accommodate the implants will cause them to bottom out. I highly recommend you reconsider your choice in size as the heavier the implant the sooner you will need revisionary surgery. If you do decide to move forward with large implants, please be ready to wear supportive garments day and night to minimize implant displacement in the future. I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

It is difficult to answer you question without photographs, but in general, the surgical plan you are describing is the standard method for treating breasts with tight inframammary folds.  Good Luck.

Good plan

It is definitely possible to achieve an excellent outcome with dual plane sub muscular breast implants in patients with mild tubular breasts.  Sound like a good plan.

Based on your question, I think you will benefit from additional time spent with your plastic surgeon.  Communicate your goals carefully; in my practice, I asked patients to use as many "visual aids" (such as photographs, computer images, and/or in bra sizers)  as possible. Ask to see similar examples  of what you might expect to achieve with your breast surgery. Achieving realistic quotations will be important. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast surgery for patients with constricted/tuberous breasts helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Round lower breast pole is achievable

Hi, I have attached a link that may be helpful...

Hi leitnerjanie. Tuberous breasts can be corrected to provide a full, rounded lower pole. Surgical release of the infra mammary fold is a key component to achieving this. The implant type, placement, volume and dimensions are secondary concerns. Based upon your consultation and examination, a board certified Plastic surgeon wIll be able to explain the different surgical options and limitations of each. Best wishes for a great outcome!