1st Half marathon - 1 week before Lipo and BBL. Any suggestions?

I have my first half marathon planned for 11/19 but I want to get my lipo this year. How long after this run would you suggest I schedule. I am hoping a week (7 days) after would be ok.

Ideal time to wait after a marathon for a BBL

Congrats on your training for your first marathon! I hope that you find it a rewarding accomplishment.  If you are doing it to lose weight, then I would wait before proceeding with surgery until your weight has stabilized. This will ensure a longer lasting result from the surgery.  Best time to do lipo is for those trouble areas resistant to diet and exercise.  The BBL factor is a simple supply and demand. More fat you have to transfer, more you can graft. 
If you choose to stay with plan of the procedure 1 week after, that will probably be fine for most patients who are in good health.

Please make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.

Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Marathons and BBL surgery!

Congratulations on your first half marathon! This is an incredible accomplishment. Liposuction can be performed safely at a time but ideally, when the patient is at their stable body weight. If you feel that you will recover and be at your stable body weight in one week after your marathon, you can safely have the procedure. More importantly, because you're going to reuse the fat for your BBL procedure, have an in-depth talk with your plastic surgeon to make sure that you have sufficient fat at the time of your procedure to get the results that you are looking for. Keep in mind that a portion of the fat that is going to be used in the fat transfer will be absorbed. For this reason, when we performed a BBL we always inject extra fat to counter this. Make sure that your plastic surgeon understands your body weight, fat content, skin quality and most importantly your expectations. Make sure that you have enough fat to meet your expectations. Congratulations on your half marathon you're an inspiration to all of us.

Half Marathon one week before Lipo and BBL

Congratulations on your first race which caps off a healthy lifestyle. From a medical standpoint, one week after such a race is sufficient for recovery (barring any unexpected injury) for healthy patients. From a BBL standpoint, you may have less available fat for transfer but that does not prevent you from safely undergoing the procedure. The body contouring and lipo aspect will be enhanced by your running in the weeks and months to come after the procedure as they fat removal and running go hand in hand. Good luck with both the race and operation.

Christopher T. Chia, MD

Exercise and Surgery

Thank you for your inquiry!

Throughout my experience excessive exercise has not deterred a patient from receiving their operation. Unless an injury or an abnormal lab result occurs during the pre-operative process, there should not be any factors getting in the way of following through with your operation. Remember to check in with your board certified plastic surgeon if you feel any concerns with completing this marathon before your surgery date. A warm congratulations with your future marathon endeavors!

Best of luck