Loose skin and fat remain after full tummy tuck with lipo? (Photos)

I am 30 years old, mother of twins. Lost over 100 lbs since pregnancy five years ago on my own through diet and exercise. Had full tummy tuck with lipo and breast reduction done 9 months ago. Unhappy with amount of loose skin and fat that still remains. I work out and take care of myself even more since my surgery. What would you recommend to reduce remaining abdominal fat and tighten skin? I'm not sure what kind of lipo could help me or if it even would. Thank you for your advice.

Loose skin still present

Nice job on losing so much weight with your healthier lifestyle! Unfortunately, it looks like not enough skin was removed during your tummy tuck. I would recommend returning to your surgeon to discuss your results as you may need to undergo surgery again.

Tummy Tuck Revisions

Judging from your photos it appears that you still have some excess skin.  Fortunately it is not difficult to remove more of it in a fairly small operation.  Liposuction will absolutely not help.  The issue is too much skin.  Best wishes.

Loose skin and fat remain after full tummy tuck with lipo?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after tummy tuck surgery. Based on your photographs, I think that you will benefit from revisionary surgery which will likely include additional skin excision and/or liposuction surgery.  If the "muffin top" area is of concern, then the tummy tuck incision may need to be extended to the flank or lower back areas. If abdominal wall laxity is of concern, then muscle plication should be considered.

Assuming you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon, address your concerns/goals directly with him/her. Working together you should be able to come up with a plan to improve your outcome. Best wishes.

Skin excess following surgery

Thanks for your question and the photos. Congratulations on your surgery and the weight loss. The skin was probably pretty stretched and damaged at your previous weight. The elasticity is not great and it cannot be fixed surgically. The initial surgery is the best opportunity to remove the greatest amount, but if too much tension is placed on the wound it will break down. In your case some more skin might be able to be removed, but it might result in the BB being moved down. Discuss this with your surgeon. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Loose Skin After Tummy Tuck

You definitely appeare to have some loose skin. It appears as if additional skin excision with or without liposuction would help you obtain a better result than liposuction alone. Express your concerns to your plastic surgeon. Best of luck! And great job on the weight loss. Very admirable that you're continuing to work out and take care of yourself even with your hands full of twins. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Tummy tuck revision

Thank you for your question. I think you should have a tummy tuck revision to get rid of the excess skin remaining from last tummy tuck. express your concerns to your surgeon so that he or she can workout the best plan for you.

Combined Procedures or Revision

Additional procedures that may enhance the result of Tummy Tuck are Liposuction, Breast Procedures, or Thigh Lift. Mommy makeovers usually include multiple operations.  Brazilian “butt enhancement” can be done at the same time to provide best body contours. Arm reduction or brachiaplasty is also common. 

Revision surgery is unusual but may be desired for several reasons. Most revisions should be done after 9-12 months.  One cause for revision surgery are “dog ears” at the ends of the incisions. These are small folds of excess skin that do not flatten over time.  They can be excised, suctioned or both. Excess fat or loose skin may require liposuction and skin excision to obtain the best result.

Skin on the "loose" After Tummy Tuck

Dear Twinmommy369,

Thanks for your pictures.  Congratulations on your weight loss.  It appears that you still have some loose skin that may require a secondary procedure (removal) to improve your result.  Discuss this and other potential options with your surgeon.  Best wishes.

Earl Stephenson, Jr. MD, DDS, FACS. Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Loose skin and fat after tummy tuck with lipo

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss. Its unclear to me if the middle picture is post op and if you are bending in it. Sometimes skin laxity can reoccur post op as swelling goes away and skin stretches a bit. Based on your pictures I would not recommend another liposuction procedure. However, you may be a candidate for a small "touch up" surgery to take away for some more skin. It is very hard to be sure without examining you in person. Good luck.

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Thank you for your photos.  Massive weight loss patients sometimes need a minor revision for a perfect result.  Express your concerns to your surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD