How long is the recovery time for a BBL?

Recovery time for a BBL

This is a very common question,
Your plastic surgeon will tell you how long you should wear your elastic garment. For patients with poor skin
elasticity Endermologie treatments may be recommended. Normal activity
may be resumed at 2 to 3 weeks post operation. In general, patients may
return to office work 5 – 7 days after the operation, and 14 days for more active employment.

Dr. James S Mc Adoo DO FACOS
AOA Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

• 20 years experience, 
  • 30,000 procedures

Recovery for BBL is not black and white

Hi There!

Thank you for your question. THe recovery period to a BBL is quite subjective. There is no scientific evidence of how long the recovery period is for BBL. Most patients need a period of 6 weeks of laying a certain position (airplane position, and lying on their front) as well sitting (reducing pressure from the buttocks). You can also expect to have some pain and discomfort for about a week. It is recommended not to lose weight, but still engage in activities that maintain proper cardio health.

Mansour Bendago, FRCSC

It's a good question. The liposuction areas will be sore for one-two weeks. Most patients return to work after two weeks. It's important to not put pressure on your buttocks for the first 3-4 weeks. Special pillows are used for the first month when sitting. The areas of liposuction will be swollen for several months and final results at the liposuction areas is seen at 6-9 months. At 6 weeks there should be no restrictions.

BBL Recovery

I generally recommend no prolonged sitting for 7-10 days after your BBL procedure. Remember, you will need to give time for the liposuction donor sites to heal. Compression garments will be very important to facilitate your healing and keep your swelling down.  Most of my BBL patients are very comfortable going back to a desk job in 10 days after surgery.   I do recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4 weeks.  Please talk to your board certified PS to get his/her specific recommendations. Best wishes. Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Recovery for a bbl

every surgeon has their own recommendations. for me, about 1 week for most patients to get back to work.  I resume exercising at 3 weeks, full activity at 2 months.Please make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options. Hope that helps and best wishes! Dr. Morales ABPS Board Certified Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

The answer to your questions varies from PS to PS. I do a lot of BBLs in my practice. I recommend no pressure to the buttocks and or hips (both if fat is transferred to the butt and hips). This means no sitting except for the toilet, no laying on your back, and no sleeping on your back for 10 days. Most people take 10 days off from work to avoid not being able to sit while driving or sit while working. I also recommend no working out for 4 weeks.