How long should I expect my breasts to stay numb?

I am 2 weeks post op. Half of my breast is still numb.

Breast Numbness

Thank you for your question. Numbness can occur around the incision site, areolar region and even the entire breast. Depending on what kind of breast surgery you had: implants, reduction, breast lift may have an impact.  This can be very temporary and in rare cases even permanent. I usually tell my patients to allow a six month period following your surgery to see whether sensation returns or not. Be certain that you address your concerns to your surgeon during your post-operative visits. Best of luck to you.

Maitland Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after augmentation

Thank you for your question! Sensation in the breast and nipple is important and can change after surgery. Everyone is different and it really depends on what kind of surgery you had and sensation you had even before surgery. Sometimes numbness gets better but it can take weeks or months for it to improve, and some patients may always have some areas that remain numb. It is important to see your surgeon and they can also help address your concerns in person. Best of luck, MMT

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Numbness

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your breast augmentation surgery. You are still very early in the post-operative period.  It is not uncommon to have some degree of numbness two weeks post-op. The sensory nerves to the nipple are stretched during dissection of the pocket and placement of the implant. This may either cause increased or decreased sensitivity initially, but usually returns to normal within a few weeks. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Breasts Numb

Hi, Ms. Garza. Congratulations on your breast augmentation!

As other doctors have already answered, numbness after breast surgery is not uncommon and usually resolves. It is, however, possible to have some permanent numbness or decrease in sensation. It would be uncommon to have a large area, such as half of the breast, to stay numb and usually the area of numbness gets progressively smaller over time. 

Nerve recovery may occur in weeks, months, or even take up to two years, and often depends on whether the numbness is just due to swelling, stretch, or direct trauma. It is also possible, that as the nerves recover, you may experience some hyper-sensitivity. 

Good luck!

Giovanna Ghafoori, MD
Harlingen Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after breast augmentation

Several things can make a breast numb after an augmentation. The creation of the breast pocket can traumatize, stretch, inflamed, and "stun" nerve branches which supplied the skin and nipple. In the majority of cases, this numbness will slowly fade over several weeks to months. In uncommon cases, it may take up to a year. Discuss your concerns with her plastic surgeon.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Since you are only two weeks from your surgery it is common to have some numbness around the area of your nipple. I would discuss this with your surgeon to make sure that this is within the spectrum of what is to be expected.

Best wishes 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery! After an augmentation the nerves of the skin are stretched as a result of swelling and the increased volume of the implants. This stretching irritates the nerves which can cause a number of different nipple and breast skin sensations including increased/decreased sensitivity or a burning/electrical feeling. These normally resolve spontaneously given enough time, upwards of 6 months or more.  Hang in there and be sure to mention these issues to your surgeon during your post-operative appointments.