Long air travel after B/A?

I would like to have my B/A in January/February 2017, but am also going on a trip to Europe in July 2017. It is usually one 2H flight, then an 8-9H flight, then another 2H flight to get there. My concern is: would my new-ish boobies be healed enough to withstand hours and hours at a different altitude? And would going up and down that many times for that many flights cause any issues? I would hate to run into any complications after traveling and then have to see a doctor in a different country.

Long air flight after a breast augmentation

You should not have any problems with your implants that long after your surgery. Altitude is generally not an issue with healing or the integrety of the implants. One worries about blood clots in the legs and/or lungs with travel within the first two weeks of surgery. This is due to being immobile for long periods of time.

Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Long air travel after breast augmentation

There is no straight forward answer for when to fly after surgery. Discuss this with your surgeon and see what he/she recommends.  I work with many out of town patients and I am fine with them traveling soon after their surgery as long as they are not lifting anything heavy, staying hydrated, ambulating (and no additional risk factors for deep venous thrombosis)...  

Have fun

I hope you have a great time in Europe.  You are planning plenty of time from January to July.  I hope you enjoy your results.

James D. Frost, MD
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

Flying after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  This should not be a problem that far out.  We are typically more concerned about extended travel in the 4-6 weeks after surgery because of the higher risk of blood clots in the legs from not moving around.  5-6 months out should be no problem.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Long air travel after B/A?

Good for you for planning ahead. You will know within a couple of weeks if any serious complications are happening. After that travel is not an issue. Have a great trip!

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation and travel

You should be ok to travel over the summer if you are having surgery in Jan/Feb provided that you do not have any complications. Best to follow up with your surgeon.

Long air travel after breast augmentation surgery?

By July you will be about 90 percent healed and most definitely ready for safe travel. I have had patients safely fly after breast augmentation from Philadelphia to Utah and Philadelphia to Hawaii - one day and nine days after surgery, respectively. Good luck and safe travels. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Travel after BA

6 months is plenty of time for you to recover.  I usually allow my patients to travel about a week after their surgery provided there hasn't been any issues and their healing up.  The implants don't really change with pressures or varying altitudes as they are made of silicone (or saline). 

Travel a few months after breast augmentation

Thanks for your inquiry and barring any complications after surgery or some pre-existing medical condition, you should be able to enjoy your European Holiday without concern of flying! Good luck. 

Air travel after breast augmentation

Travel should be no problem after this period of time following your breast implants, assuming a smooth procedure and no lingering complications.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD