How do my lips look? (photos)

I just got my lips done yesterday, injected with Juvederm. I have naturally small and thin lips with a top lip that is barely there and hides under. I wanted my top lip to be just slightly more proportional to my bottom. It looks like the filler is setting above my lip line more than plumping it. Why is this? Also, the bottom of my cupid's bow (pointing down) has always been a little prominent but is definitely way more prominent now (look at photo of mouth slightly open.) WHY&how can i fix this?

Lip swelling from Juvederm

Thin lips should be injected with less product in only in certain areas of the lips. The swelling is natural and should resolve in two weeks.  If you are still unhappy you should consult a specialist in cosmetic injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Swelling After Filler

Thank you for sharing your photos and your concerns.  When using a hydrophilic filler (one that attracts and binds to water), your lips will swell for 10-14 days.  Most patients have the greatest amount of swelling two days after the procedure.  There are methods to prevent and reduce swelling that your dermatologist or plastic surgeon may recommend.

At this time, please wait until the two week mark to see your final result.  The advantage of using a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm is that the product can be partially or fully dissolved if you are dissatisfied with your result.

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

#lips, #lipenhancement, #lipvolume, #liprestoration, #filler, #Allergan, #Juvederm, #Vobella, #Volift, #Voluma, #botox, #Galderma, #Restylane, #RestylaneSilk, #Perlane, #hyaluronicacid, #HA, #hyaluronidase, #cosmetics, #aesthetics, #plasticsurgery, #dermatology, #Houston, #Chilukuri, #RefreshDermatology

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

If you are unhappy after a few weeks please see an expert.  It takes that much time for the swelling to go down.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Lip enhancement question

It appears to me that the lower lip is well out of proportion to the upper and needs more volume. I always will put some in both lips but in your case, most of the product needs to be in upper lip. Wait about 2 weeks and then go back for another evaluation and discuss your concerns.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. I'm sorry you did not get the result you had hoped for. 

It i possible that you are still seeing some swelling, which may take 1-2 weeks to subside. I recommend that you follow up with the physician who performed your procedure. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

How do my lips look?

Hello Ad026,

Your lips certainly do have more volume.  When you add a large volume it can make the area above the lip stick out (you don't have a side photo but this is what people refer to as a duck look).  This does not always happen with a large volume, but it can.  It is improtant to realize that with lip fillers there can be some pretty impressive swelling that takes place afterwards.  The greater the volume added, the greater the swelling.  This can increase for the first 48 hours (so you may look even more full tomorrow).  If this is happening, there are some treatments that can help to minimize it.  

As far as what to do, at this point I would say give it time.  It can take up to two weeks for the swelling to go away.  After two weeks, if you are still too augmented then there is an injection you can receive to dissolve the filler.  This does get rid of your initial investment in your lips, but it can help if you aren't happy.  

In the future, consider receiving your injections from a physician injector from one of the core cosmetic specialties (facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, and dermatology).  Inform your injector the look you are going for.  I always recommend to start out conservatively because you can always easily add more.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon