Would lip injections be suitable to make upper project further out in profile view? (Photos)

When facing head on my lips appear relatively full but from the side my top lip is very flat and small looking. Is it possible to make my lips more symmetrical looking without making them wider? My dentist and orthodontist tell me I do not have an underbite.

Lip Augmentation to Balance the Profile

The answer is that fillers will certainly help. I like to use Juvederm for lip augmentation and I have had really great, natrual looking results with lips such as yours augmenting essentially just the border of the upper lip. This should project your upper lip out so that it is in line with the lower. You should not need much filler to get this done - probably a half syringe will do. Lip augmentation is a bit of an art form - making them look perfectly natural can be tricky. Make sure that you find an injector who is very experienced in lip augmentation.
Hope that helps!

Profile view projection with lip filler

You would be a great candidate for lip fillers to help with projection of your upper lip on profile view.  You are correct in that your front view is nice and full - the profile view is a bit narrow.  There are certain injection techniques that can curl the lip so that you would have a fuller and more projected appearance.  Definitely see an experienced injector as this is a more advanced technique.  I prefer hyaluronic-acid based filler as well.

Best of luck and hope this information helps!

- Dr. Roger Tsai

Roger Tsai, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Would lip injections be suitable to make upper project further out in profile view?

Hello Sleepyxkitten,

You did a great analysis of your lips.  From the front they are nice and full, but on the side your upper lip is set back farther than what it should be from an aesthetic standpoint.  There are treatments to help improve this appearance.  There are both injectable options and some surgical options  I'd recommend you first start with an injectable to see how you like the result.  In my opinion, the key is to be conservative with your filler injection.  The reason is that you start out with such a full lip.  If you do too much to try to bring the lip forward then you can create an upper lip that is too full and overdone.  

I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to learn about your options and ways to improve your profile view.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

Hello, and thanks for your question. 

I think you're an excellent candidate for lip augmentation with a hyaluronic acid filler. You would likely only need one syringe. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Asymmetry

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients. In my professional experience, it is possible to consistently gain better symmetry and overall shape of lips with injection of lip fillers.  While these are temporary (lasting about 6 months) they are quick, simple and have minimal pain or down time. For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with dermal filler and hyaluronic acid cosmetic injections.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Lip Injections for Symmetry

Thank you for your question and photos. 

You do have nice, full lips, but I see your concern about your profile. I would recommend a conservative lip augmentation with filler to address this concern. Make sure you consult with an experienced injector. 

Best of Luck,

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat

Lip fillers do great and look natural if done with skill and expertise. I suggest you see an expert for treatment and someone who truly understands contouring. Best, Dr. Emer

Conservative Lip Augmentation For Symmetry

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry to hear that you are having some concerns about the appearance of your lips.  Based on your photographs, it appears that you have nice naturally full lips with some asymmetry present, particularly in your profile view.  I would recommend a conservative lip augmentation with a small amount of hyaluronic acid-based filler.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation in order to fully address your concern, discuss your goals and expectations, and determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!

Lip injections to enhance profile of upper lips

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo.  Lip injections can definitely help enhance your the upper lip profile.  Another procedure that may help is a small in-office surgical procedure that lifts the upper lip into a more projected position.   This latter approach has the advantage of producing a longer lasting result.  I would recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss your options in detail.

Would lip injections be suitable to make upper lip project further out in profile?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Dermal hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Juvederm, are an excellent way to add volume to your upper lip to better match your lower lip in profile.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to maximize your results.  Hope this helps.