Which lip implant size do I need? (Photo)

I am 52 years old. I have sort of wimpy thin lips and am considering a lip implant procedure. I have had my lip shape slightly altered above the vermillion border with permanent makeup. The photo is taken at rest, and with no make-up. I have read no one uses the "small" silicone implants because there is not enough change. How do you suggest patients decide between the medium and the large. I want to be able to see that there is a difference, but do not want to look like a porn star!

Lip implant size

Lip implant sizing before surgery can be a challenge because there is no great way to determine what end result will look like before the procedure.  It is true that very few patients choose the smallest implants because the end result is typically very subtle and most patients desire more of an enhancement.  Sometimes it helps to estimate the size based on the amount of filler used with previous lip injections. Based on your picture it appears that your lips are really not that thin and a medium sized implant would work well. Also realize that if you were not satisfied after the procedure, it is relatively simple to change it out for a larger size.  

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Lip Implant Size

While everyone's lips are different, most patients who want a noticeable change choose the 4mm Permalip implants. More subtle changes are done with 3mm implants. It is uncommon to need a 5mm diameter lip implant unless already has an indwelling implant.

Lip Implant?

Thank you for your question and photo!  I advise you to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  They will be able to guide you on what will fit you best.
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board Certified  Plastic Surgeon Chicago Hoffman Estates Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon