Had a lift a year ago. Currently a C cup & ready for implants. Aiming for double or triple D; Is my chest too big? (Photos)

I had a Breast lift a year ago and i didnt achieve the upper fullness i wanted... Im currently a 36C but is that too big to have implants? Would i achieve a better result if i had a flatter chest? As well, My scarring was due to me being a past smoker. Is my scarring going to affect the look of my impants? Thank you for your time. I just want the best options possible. Pictures included.

Had a lift a year ago. Currently a C cup & ready for implants.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Additional (revisionary) breast lifting will likely be necessary as well.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "DD or DDD cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to  breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Breast lift/ Implants

I have found that many people are confused about what a breast implant can and can't do. Breast implants only provide volume and mass to the breasts. They do not provide shape of lift. Depending on your final goals, I suspect you will require a breast implant to give you the size you desire and a revision of your lift to give you the perkiness you desire. A board certified plastic surgeon can guide you on this.

William H. Gorman, MD

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Breast augmentation

Dear Carmel91:  Thank you for posting your photos.   It appears after your breast lift, you still have some residual sagging with some degree of pseudoptosis (where breast tissue is sagging below the level of your nipple).   I think you would definitely benefit from a revision breast lift with your augmentation.  However, it is important for me to better understand your goals.  If you are looking for high upper pole cleavage, you may also need to consider my internal bra technique to provide added soft tissue support.  The fact that you have recurrent sagging after a previous lift suggests perhaps your tissue quality may be weak to support a larger implant.  Hence an augmentation may further weight down your breasts even with a revisional lift.   However, if you are OK with a more natural tear dropped shaped result, a breast augmentation with a revision lift may just do the trick.  Hence, in-person consultation and formal physical exam is needed to give you the best advice. Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about options.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Previous lift ready for implants

Thank you for submitting pictures, that's very helpful.  I recommend undergoing another skin tightening procedure on your breasts as well as implants. Your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be able to pick the appropriate size implant that matches your breast anatomy. Size is more than just the "cc" volume, the implant's base diameter and projection is equally important when choosing the ideal implant for YOU. Good luck!

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Implants will help provide the upper pole fullness

Thanks for your question. I think you are candidate for implants, but I also think you would need to have the previous lift revised. Based on your measurements and the look you are trying to achieve, your surgeon can give you options. You might really benefit from using the Vectra 3D imaging. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Breast surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a good candidate for a breast augmentation and a re-tightening of your previous breast lift.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Augmentation after mastopexy

You could certainly add an implant and retighten your mastopexy. Add enough volume to get the look you like but just be careful not to overwhelm your figure or add too much weight. Try on sizers and of you can photo imaging can help. I like using textured implants for cases like yours so they don't fall. I also think it helps for a prettier scar.

Good job on stopping smoking!

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants after a breast lift

I believe that you could achieve the size and fullness you desire with breast implants. To see pictures of women who had a lift and implants, click on this link. The fullness you are looking for would be more like these pictures. 
For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon