Do I need a lift or just implants? (Photo)

I have deflated breasts from nursing two babies. I finished weaning 8 weeks ago.

Lift or just implants?

Breast augmentation may give you a good result.  However, your left breast and nipple-areolar complex is lower than the right.  With implant alone, you will continue to have slight asymmetry.  Based on direct examination, your plastic surgeon may recommend breast augmentation alone or augmentation with small lift.  Please share your expectation/goals with your plastic surgeon.Best regards.

Do I need a lift or just implants

I think you are at that in-between area and the implant alone might give you the desired appearance. The trade off is that the entire mound will be fuller but no higher on your rib cage

Julio Garcia, MD

Do I need a lift or just implants

Thank you for your question.  You are a good candidate for breast augmentation.  Make sure you select an implant size that you will be happy with. You should wait 3-6 months after weaning.  Review many before and after photos.  Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes.

Implant alone and possible lift later

The position of your nipple areola complex is above the breast fold and implants will give you fullness and projection. You have wide gap between your breast and I offer implants and fat grafting for the best results. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Borderline lift

Thanks for your question and the photos. With your deflation I think an implant will help restore your volume and shape. Adding the lift will get the nipple areolar complex more in the center of the implant but comes at the expense of more scars around the areola. It would take an exam to verify all of this. Although subtle, there are a lot differences between the two breasts with regard to nipple height, amount of lower pole show and possibly even crease position. For this reason, I would probably be in favor of combining the lift and implant.My concern would be that an implant alone might make these asymmetries more pronounced. Find a Board Plastic Surgeon in your area that is an ASAPS member and specializes in cosmetic breast surgery. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Lift and implant

Both necessary for proper result. The skin will not hold the implant up after the swelling resolves. A vertical lift will probably be a very good choice

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Breast lift?

Thanks for your inquiry,  I believe by adding a crescent or periareolar lift to your augmenation you can improve the shape of your result. Please get a few opinions.  Good Luck

Too much extra breast skin?

In my opinion, you can go either way. You can just fill out that extra skin with an implant or do a lift and implant, but personally I would just use an implant to remove the appearance of the excess skin. You can always have a lift done when you're older, but enjoy the absence of scars now while you're young. Good luck!

Scott W. Harris, MD, FACS

Do I need a lift or just implants?

Thank you for the question and pictures. In my practice, I would encourage you to undergo breast augmentation/lifting surgery.  You are much more likely to achieve a better outcome when it comes to breast shape, appearance, and longevity of outcome with the  combination operation, compared to breast augmentation surgery alone.  Of course, breast augmentation/lifting surgery is a more complicated procedure (and more complication prone);  careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals will be key.  Furthermore, you will need to carefully consider the trade-offs (such as additional scarring) associated with breast lifting versus the upsides briefly discussed above.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing this combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery.  Again, it will be important that you educate yourself regarding the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Only after doing so can you make an informed decision whether or not to proceed. You will find a lot of information on this website and on the attached link.

Also, generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 

2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers with the patient in the upright position makes selection of the best breast implant size/profile relatively easy. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Do I need a lift or just implants?

Based on the photos you shared, you appear borderline. If you want to be perfect, a very minor lift could be done, but I think you could get away with just implants for now.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD