Why do the left and right sides of my face look so different after facelift? (Photo)

I had a face/neck lift and upper and lower blepharoplasty 11/08/16. I ask my friend to take a pic from behind the ears - I was shocked how much different stitches was on right and left ears- - like 2 different people did it, in couple of days I start to develop very painful and open wounds with yellow pass, when I see doc he told me everything is OK and still use antibiotic cream( which I did), but 10 days latter I have one more open wound, It's suppose to heal by now. What do I do to stop it? Thank you

Healing and Recovery After Your Facial Procedure

First and foremost, its best to remain patient. It is still early in to your recovery. The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. 

#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Facelift infection

You need to go back and see your surgeon asap. You still have an infection and if it isn't resolved, it will adversely affect your scarring on that ear. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Facelift with problems

almost 2 weeks later: you have major complications and possible infection and/or ischemia. The pus should be cultured and appropriate antibiotics used. you will have extra scarring for sure which can be addressed later.  you may need a secondary facelift in the future to remove the scarring.  I am sorry for what you are going through. 

William Jervis, Jr., MD
Pleasanton Plastic Surgeon

Skin necrosis after facelift

You appear to have areas of skin necrosis around your left ear and on your neck. Your surgeon needs to know about this ASAP. If your surgeon does know about it and is not doing anything, then I would advise a second opinion from a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon. You are in need of appropriate wound care including, but not limited to, topical nifedipine or nitro cream to increase blood flow, oral trental to help with blood flow, and I would also encourage hyperbaric oxygen therapy. I would avoid ice and compression garments. This will likely look worse before it gets better. Hang in there!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift issue

You are experiencing some skin healing issues on the one side. You are best to review this with your surgeon to get appropriate care.

Why do the left and right sides of my face look so different after facelift?

Hello Zoya58,

After a facelift it is very common for the two sides to be healing differently.  This can be from anatomy, sleeping position, etc.  However, the more concerning finding I see is the area of skin breakdown.  You have a spot on your neck and below your left ear where the skin is breaking down.  These need to be treated appropriately to minimize the risk of scarring.  This will likely include a topical ointment and possibly an oral medication.  I'd recommend you follow up with your surgeon ASAP to initiate appropriate care.  If your surgeon is not receptive then consider a second opinion, but time is important for that area.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

The wounds may have resulted from injury to the skin during surgery, excess tension on the skin during the closure, or even very tight postop compression.  At this point, you should avoid any tight compression, apply antibiotic ointments to the wounds daily, and see your plastic surgeon regularly.  

Post op recovery

It seems you have some bruising and healing differences from side to side.  This can happen during facelift recovery as your surgeon operates on one side, then the other.  Subsequently, the bruising can be different.

I would definitely keep your doctor updated with how things are going and see him to check on the incisions frequently, especially if you are concerned for pus.  Fortunately, it doesn't appear that you have an infection in the photos, but I would continue to nourish the skin with the antibiotic ointment.

Hang in there, the bruising will improve and the asymmetries should improve as well.

Christopher C. Chang, MD

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia

Needs time

These wounds and areas of bunching of the skin will improve with time. Future work may need to be performed, but for now you will need to keep seeing your surgeon and treating the areas to get them healed.