Is it too late to get orbital decompression?

I went to a surgeon who said i don't really need orbital decompression so we just went with undereyelid retraction to make my eyes seem less big but my left eye is bigger than my right from Graves' disease and it's noticeable a lot can I still get orbital decompression done on my left eye to push it back some even after ive already had under eyelid retraction surgery ?

Eyelid Retraction

You would still be able to undergo orbital decompression, assuming that your left eye is more proptotic from enlargement of fat or muscle in the eye socket. Of course, doing the decompression would affect the eyelid position again so you may need further revision of the eyelid afterwards, but if you are still noticing a large difference due to the globe position, that would be the best option. I would suggest seeing an oculoplastic surgeon with extensive orbit training.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Orbital Decompression

Orbital decompression is necessary if the eye is exposed, even after eyelid retraction surgery, or if the vision is impaired.  I know you are concerned about the appearance, but every surgery has its risks, along with benefits.  I suggest you seek out a consultation with an orbital surgeon - usually an ophthalmologist with fellowship training in this field.  Good luck.

Hugo Higa, MD
Honolulu Oculoplastic Surgeon

Decompression

Yes you can, if you are otherwise a candidate. See a board certified plastic surgeon with a craniofacial fellowship with experience in the procedure.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Order of orbital decompression surgery and eyelid retraction surgery

Yes, you can still get orbital decompression now. The reason it is better to do orbital decompression first is because that by itself may allow the eyelid retraction to improve. See link below.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon