Do I need jaw surgery or implants? I'm very self conscious of my chin and profile and hate the way I look in photos. (photo)

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin Implant vs. Jaw Surgery

Whether a lower jaw advancement is needed depends on your current bite relationship and whether you want to got through orthodontics and jaw advancement surgery. This is probably ideal for you of you are willing to make that effort. Short of that treatment a sliding genioplasty would be better than a chin implant for you given your young age and how short your chin is.

Chin implant versus jaw surgery

A chin implant procedure involves placement of Silastic chin implant under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure that takes approximately 30 minutes. Placement of a chin implant has nothing to do with the alignment of the teeth, It is simply augmentation of the mandible bone. When patients have significant misalignment of the teeth, a sliding genioplasty is performed by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia in a hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay.  For more information and many examples of chin implant  before and after results, please see the link and the video below

Jaw surgery or chin implant

A properly chosen chin implant will definitely improve your features both on the front and side views. It is an easy operation with little risk and a fairly quick recovery. Jaw surgey is definitely much more invasive, risky and with a prolonged recovery, but if you have significant dental/bite alignment problems it may be a better option.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I need jaw surgery or implants? I'm very self conscious of my chin and profile and hate the way I look in photos.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery. Hope this helps.