Is itching Normal 2 weeks post op labiaplasty ?

My swelling has gone down dramatically and my stitches seem more visible than usual. Can it be itching because of the dissolving stitches ? I have researched and it seems that people say it takes them 6 weeks to heal and they still have stitches but I feel almost completely back to normal and comfortable .

Healing following labiaplasty

Itching is common in the weeks following surgery on many parts of the body.  It is also common following labiaplasty.  At two weeks after your labiaplasty, you no longer need the sutures. It would be reasonable for you to see your surgeon to remove any unnecessary suture material and eliminate it as a contributing factor for the itching.

Is itching normal 2 weeks PostOp labiaplasty?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your labiaplasty!  Some patients do have a rather rapid recovery thanks to a lack of soft tissue swelling and little tension placed across their incision.  Though itching is common two weeks after surgery realize that you are not completely healed and that the wrong activities may still compromise your result.  Remember to maintain close contact with your surgeon to ensure an otherwise uncomplicated recovery.  Hope this helps.

Feeling normal and being completely healed are not the same thing

It takes 6-8 weeks to heal from surgery sufficiently that sutures are gone and the scar is strong enough for normal activities. Itching is common in the first few weeks after surgery and will resolve.

Itching after labiaplasty

It is common for patients to complain of itching after labiaplasty surgery. The suture material can cause irritation.  There is also a lot of inflammation during the early postoperative healing phase.  Keeping the sutures moist  with a thin layer of Vaseline will help with those symptoms. It is important to make sure you do not have a yeast infection will which can also contribute to the itching as well.  This sometimes happens after the surgery with all the antibiotics that you have been on. My recommendation is to discuss it with your surgeon. Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty: Itching

Thank you for your question.  Itching can occur after surgery and is commonly normal.  However, I would recommend contacting your surgeon for evaluation to make sure that you are healing well.  Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Itching is most likely the sutures

Hello Rebecca, Congratulations on your Labiaplasty. Itching is pretty common and typically due to remaining sutures. You should, however notify your surgeons office and possibly be seen to make sure all is healing well. By 2 weeks some sutures have done their "job" and can be removed resulting in you being much more comfortable.Best of luck with your healing. 

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

2 weeks post

Thanks for sharing and your story and yet 2 week post op itching is absolutely normal.   Ask your surgeon his recommendation how to manage the itching.   I normally recommend over the counter benadryl but that is my recommendation and not your surgeons ( please ask him/her)
John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. If discomfort continues the best person to contact would be your surgeon, and take in any advice that their office will be able to offer. If anything continues with pain, discomfort or concern at all, then a live visit will be best to evaluate your progression of healing. Good luck!