Do I have too much intra-abdominal fat for good results with a tummy tuck? (Photo)

Here are some photos that I hope help determine whether or not I am a good candidate for a tummy tech with optimal results. I have lost over 80 pounds of weight, had large babies, and two C-sections. I know I have a lot of extra skin, but my main concern is my abdominal wall. I know that I will need muscle repair, but it seems that even when I flex and press into my muscles(ex. in photos) , my abdomen will still keep be pretty thick.

Tummy Tuck

Based on your photos alone I think you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Regards, 

Tummy tuck candidate

Thank you for your question. First of all i would like to congratulate you on your weight loss, for what i can see in the photos, you are an excellent candidate for a Tummy tuck procedure. Tummy tuck, also know as abdominoplasty, is a procedure to remove excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and to restore the weakened abdominal wall, giving a firmer and smoother appearance. We nearly always add liposuction to our tummy tucks to sculpt the body 360 degrees to achieve an ideal feminine figure. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in these procedures.

Do I have too much intra-abdominal fat for tummy tuck?

Based on the photos, I believe that you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck and you should have an excellent result. Repairing the diastasis, or “tightening the muscle” will most likely make you flatter than you might think. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with this procedure and discuss your concerns. They will be able to go over realistic expectations of the surgery with you. Congratulations and best of luck!

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Do I have too much intra-abdominal fat for good results with a tummy tuck

I do think you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Your visceral fat volume keeps you from being a great candidate

Julio Garcia, MD

You can expect very good results from tummy tuck

You are fine and ready for tummy tuck. There is no indication of excess intrabdominal fat in your photos. You will get good results from your tummy tuck.   

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tummy tuck

Dear CC81112:

Thank you for your question and posting your photos.  First, congratulation on your weight loss!  Based on your photos alone, it appears you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck procedure.   You ask an important question on intra-abdominal fat.   Only an in-person physical exam can determine if you are truly a great candidate for a tummy tuck.   But based on your photos alone, it does not appear you have excessive intra-abdominal fat.   Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to learn more about your options.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Excellent candidate for Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your question and the photos. Congratulations on your weight loss. That is an amazing accomplishment. I don't see anything in your photos that would give me pause about operating on you. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area who is an ASAPS member and specializes in body contouring surgery. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Do I have too much intra-abdominal fat for good results with a tummy tuck?

You appear to be a good candidate for a regular abdominoplasty. Congrats on the weight loss! Because you've lost the weight, you should have lost visceral fat at well. You should be able to remove a significant amount of excess skin and stretch marks, was well as achieve tightening of the muscle layer, which is stretched out by weight gain/loss, pregnancy, etc.

Based on your pictures, I would think you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck including tightening the abdominal muscles.  An 80 pound weight loss means you probably lost some intra-abdominal (visceral) fat.  That gives you a better chance for an even flatter tummy.

I always have an honest discussion with people who want a tummy tuck but have way too much intra-abdominal fat.  They are better off losing weight through diet and exercise and then getting the surgery.

Good luck to you and congratulations on the weight loss.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

You appear to be a good candidate.  The tummy tuck would allow removal of excess skin and tightening of your muscle.  

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon