Info for Wrinkles around mouth for 61 yr old. (photo)

Here are 3 photos of what my lip area looks like. Can anything be done about the areas in each photo? What procedure would be best for my mouth to hopefully have no more wrinkles? Botox, other fillers? I am worried about having all these areas not looking natural and end up with a smooth Big Poofy Look for my mouth.? I am not a smoker or drinker. Was a Sun Worshipper in my 20s and 30s tho. Then stopped. Thank You in advance for all Doctors who reply !

Sciton CONTOUR, Restylane-SILK, BOTOX

Laser resurfacing is a great start for perioral wrinkles.  I really like Sciton's Contour laser.  In addition, I would recommend Dysport/Botox to the lip to help relax the muscle and Restylane-SILK to fill, hydrate and help define the aging lip.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens                Marina Plastic Surgery Associates                Marina del Rey, CA              The Institute

Reatylane Silk and Laser

Restylane Silk and lasers such as Fraxel would definitely help those fine lines and deep lines around the mouth.  A combination approach is usually best to help improve this area.  Best, Dr. Green

Non-Invasive Options for Fine Lines

Thank you for your question.  There are a few non-invasive options available to you such as Belatero, microneedling and laser resurfacing. It's best to schedule an in-person consultation with your surgeon regarding the most ideal treatment plan for you in order to achieve your optimal results. Good luck!

Nonsurgical Options for Lip Wrinkles ("Smoker's" Lines)

Thank you for sharing your photos.  As you mentioned, many women who vertical lip lines ("smoker's lines") have never been smokers.  Genetics, sun exposure, and repeated lip pursing such as drinking from a straw are all underlying causes of this condition.

Several options are available to improve your fine vertical lip lines.  First, start with a neuromodulator (#Botox, #Dysport, #Xeomin) to decrease the muscle motion causing these lines.  Combine the neuromodulator with an excellent skin care regimen including a physical sunblock with antioxidant, retinoid, and an epithelial repair cream (such as Skin Medica's HA5).  You should notice an improvement in 2 weeks.  If there is significant improvement, repeat the neuromodulator in 2 to 3 months and the area will continue to improve. 

If there is mild to moderate improvement, consider adding a monopolar radiofrequency device such as #Pelleve or #Exilis to stimulate collagen growth.  Another noninvasive device option is using a nonablative laser such as Frax 1540 by #Cynosure or #Fraxel.  The latest treatment is the Exilis Ultra which is the only machine in the world combining radiofrequency and ultrasound to stimulate collagen growth deep and superficial.  There is no downtime with any of these procedures.

If you have deeper lines without major volume loss (lips still have good thickness, not significantly thinner), consider microneedling.  Not all microneedling systems are created the same.  One of the most consistent machines that produces excellent results is the Eclipse Micropen.  Depending on the depth of the lines, you may need 1 to 5 treatments spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart.  Make sure your physician or treating assistant uses the correct needle length to provide the best results in the fewest possible treatments.  He or she may also combine with PRP (platelet rich plasma) or topical hyaluronic acid.  Downtime is typically 1 to 3 days.

Another option that may be used with or without microneedling is an ablative laser such as an Erb:YAG or CO2 laser.  The laser works by taking the top layer of skin off and generating heat a bit deeper.  This type of laser tends to be more expensive and the downtime is typically 4 to 14 days depending on the laser used.

If there is moderate to significant volume loss of the lips (thin lips with deep lipstick lines), consider use of a hyaluronic acid filler.  Excellent fillers for structural volume loss include #Restylane or #Juvederm Ultra Plus.  For correcting fine lines, consider #Juvederm Ultra, #RestylaneSilk, or #Belotero.  With most of these fillers, you will have swelling that lasts 7-14 days.  Occassionally you may have bruising that lasts 3 to 21 days.

Any of these options may be combined as recommended by your board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Please find an experienced physician who has all these tools to help guide your treatments to be long lasting and the most cost effective.

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

#lips, #liplines, #collagen, #collagengrowth, #neuromodulator, #filler, #hyaluronicacid, #microneedling, #laser, #resurfacing, #Eclipse, #micropen, #PRP, #skincare, #dermatology, #plasticsurgery, #Allergan, #Galderma, #Merz, #SkinMedica, #HA5, #BTL, #RefreshDermatology

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox, chemical peels, fillers, Resurfacing laser treatments

I appreciate your question.

A multi treatment approach is needed for this area.  I would recommend botox, chemical peel, fillers and laser treatment.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Lip Lines -- Fraxel/Co2 Laser, Deep Peel, Fillers, Botox, Microneedling

A combination of treatments are needed to treat this area including lasers and fillers. I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Thank you for your question and the photos.  Your concern about lip lines is common among men and women.  We are seeing very nice results for lip lines with Restylane Silk, a facial filler that is particularly effective for the area around the mouth.  In addition, there are several other non-surgical options you might like to try.  I would recommend Ultherapy, an FDA cleared ultrasonic technology that helps to stimulate collagen below the surface of the skin, or Exilis Elite, another RF technology that works similarly to stimulate the collagen but at a different level.    SkinPen micro needling is another office procedure that also helps stimulate collagen and improve skin quality.  I think between these techniques you would find definite improvement.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who offers many options for optimum results. 
Best of luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Lip lines

Good question, a lot of patients in my practice seek treatment for these lips lines. There area a variety of different options you can choose from to help correct these lines. You could use botox/dysport in small amounts around the mouth to help relax the muscle and prevent the lines from forming. Additionally you can get a filler, restylane silk in the area which is a very thin filler and great for fine lines. Other alternatives would be a fractionated CO2 laser to the area or a procedure called Ultherapy, which uses ultrasound technology to stimulate collagen rebuilding and tightening. I would advise you go to a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to get an in person consult to discuss the various options and which one is best for you.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Lip lines

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos and concerns with us. Lip lines can be a very challenging concern to address, however there are a number of options that can help improve these lines. Often, the more different modalities you use the more impact you can have on the lines and still appear very natural:
1) Botox and Dysport:   Can be used to weaken the amount of pursing that your lip muscles can do, and hence limits how much deeper the lines can get.  This treatment is repeated every 2-3 months
2) Restylane Silk or Juvederm:  thinh dermal filler's are a great way to directly address the fine lines. This is repeated every 6-9 months
3) Ultherapy:   Helps to create a little more dermal thickening. Can be done as a series to help build on the results. Should be done before fillers. 
4) Profound:   Micro needling radiofrequency can be used to help build collagen and elastin in the deeper skin tissue.
5) Fractionated CO2:  Can be to used to smooth the superficial fine lines and create a smoother look.
It is important to choose which modalities would be helpful for you.  It is also important to find a plastic surgeon or dermatologist with experience to help with your assessment and develop a plan that can help address your concerns.

Info for Wrinkles around mouth for 61 yr old.

Hello Maggie1713,

Although they are called smoker's lines, my experience is that most people who get them were never smokers.  It was likely the sun damage that affected that area. 

With regards to your options, there are several for that area.  A few units of Botox can help to soften the wrinkles by weakening the muscle around the mouth.  This won't get rid of them but it can make them a little less prominent.  You can use temporary fillers to fill in the creases.  This should show improvement as well.  When someone goes overboard and completely fills the area to remove the wrinkles, that is the big poofy look you were talking about.  You an also consider a resurfacing procedure such as a laser or chemical peel.  These help to stimulate new collagen production from below and remove some of the aged skin above. 

I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon for an in person evaluation to go over the options and what you could realistically expet with each.

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon