I would like to know when I can start stretching? Like flexibility stretches after Tummy Tuck with muscle repair?

I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair on October 27. I have already asked my doctor and I would just like other opinions.

Recovery after tummy tuck

I strongly believe that seromas are related to early over activity, specifically movement of the skin against the muscle. It makes sense to minimize that for the first couple of weeks as tissues adhere back together and that bond strengthens. Starting to stand up in a straighter posture is recommended by 2 weeks for my patients but I believe that really stretching vigorously could separate tissues which are in the early stage of healing and I would discourage that for 6 weeks. Fluid collections under the flap can occur as a result of failure to heal or disrupting things that are healing normally, necessitating treatment by needle aspiration (puncturing into the fluid with a needle and drawing it out with a syringe). Needle aspiration is unpleasant for everyone involved and I encourage my patients to err on the side of caution to avoid that consequence of over activity. These are extremely rare in my practice as a result of patient education. I believe that understanding how problems occur can eliminate their occurrence the vast majority of the time.

Stretching after tummy tuck

I tell most people 6 weeks, and often I'll extend this to 8 weeks, as aggressive stretching, like yoga, can place a significant strain on your muscle plication and if your muscle repair pops, you'll have a bulge there that will require additional surgery.  Some very light stretching is okay up until then, but it's mostly to protect you and your investment.  No one wants to have a repeat operation for something that's completely avoidable.

EXERCISE/STRETCHING AFTER TUMMY TUCK

I let my patients begin stretching and mild exercise a week after drains are out and no fluid collects in the lower abdomen.  That is typically about 3 weeks and they must wear the garment during any activity.  However, it varies greatly with the extent of the surgery, which is usually dictated by the size of the patient, how much liposuction was done for contouring, and even diet.  Every recovery is different and you should follow the judgement of your surgeon, who is the only one who knows how his/her patients do historically given each patient's circumstance.

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Activity after TT

Thank you for your question. usually in my practice we allow them graduated stretch after 4  weeks and get to full activity in 6 weeks provided cleared by surgeon.

Return to Stretching after Tummy Tuck

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

You may want to double-check with your surgeon that enough time has passed and that incisions are healed enough to return to a greater amount of activity. Good luck.

1 month post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (1 month post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I would like to know when I can start stretching after Tummy Tuck...

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure.  Although I understand your desire to receive online opinions, you really DO need to follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations.  He/she knows exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and is ultimately responsible for your care. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with.