I want to get a rhinoplasty to fix my nose. Will rhinoplasty be able to fix my nose? (photo)

I used to tug constantly when I got anxious on the side of my right nose wing. Throughout the years it sort of made my nose all crooked and not very well shaped. Can nose surgery fix this and also make my nose bridge straight and make the tip a bit slimmer so not to look so bulbous? Thanks.

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from spreader grafts to help straighten your nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Yes, surgery can achieve all of those goals. Rhinoplasty can straighten a crooked nose, narrow a tip, narrow the nasal bones. Make sure to see a rhinoplasty specialist since rhinoplasty is a delicate operation. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

I don't see enough of a problem that needs surgical correction. Understand that surgery is not exact and complications are possible. The risk/benefit ratio is not in your favor for surgery.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Will rhinoplasty be able to fix my nose?

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

I want to get a rhinoplasty to fix my nose. Will rhinoplasty be able to fix my nose?

Its possible to address and improve your nose.. You will need an in person consultation with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon . Each and every issue can be discussed in detailed. But-yes--improvement is possible and likely..

Bulbous Tip Male Rhinoplasty

I doubt that pulling on your nose did any permanent damage. Your photo doesn't show a particularly bulbous tip but one in need minor refinements. The main thing that draws your eye are the width of your nasal bones for which you will need osteotomies and major debulking.

Paul S. Howard, MD, FACS
Hoover Plastic Surgeon