I need help with recommendations on which type/shape/size of silicone implants I should get? (Photos)

I'm 25, 6'1, 170lbs and no kids. I was an athlete my whole life and continue to workout/excercise. As you can see I am very flat chested and broad. I'm looking for a certified board surgeon in the Houston area for a breast augmentation. I love the natural look and hate the right round high clevage look for myself. In the future I want to be able to breastfeed and do not want to do any reconstruction on my boobs. I'm open to the "gummy bear", mentor, memoryshape/sientra.

Implant recommendation

Hi, Houston2121

Based on your photos, you will have a great result from breast augmentation.

In recommending an implant, I tailor that based on each patient's body and her desired outcome. Each patient's body is different and what she wants is different as well. Please review before and after photo gallery and share your wish photos with your plastic surgeon.  Your plastic surgeon will examine you and measure your chest anatomy; then he/she will listen to your goal and give you a meaningful recommendation.

Picking the right implant to achieve your goals

Dear houston2121:  

It looks like you will likely get a great result from breast augmentation.  I think you would benefit from a breast augmentation with a dual plane technique with the Allergan Inspira silicone gel implants.  In this placement, generally the upper 2/3 of your implant is under the muscle but lower third of your implant is  above the muscle.  I believe this helps to achieve a natural tear-drop shaped breast in many different body types as illustrated in your "wish" pics.  

In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall.  Hence a physical exam is really needed to give you any meaningful advice.  

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick ar ange of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural  fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Recommendations of what type of silicone implants?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Breast augmentation candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants)  Breast Augmentation
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 400-450 will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Implant Choice

You will find few surgeons who use and are experienced with shaped, form stable devices like the Mentor Memory Shape or the Natrelle 410.  Most believe they are more trouble then they are worth, i.e. that they rotate and will cause problems more than round and smooth devices.  The data says the opposite, that they have the lowest complication risk profile. They require a level of meticulous planning and surgical execution that most surgeons don't want to be troubled with. Your bigger issue is your body size compared to your tight appearing breasts. Only a thorough examination to determine your tissue capacity can an implant volume be determined, but this might not have such a great impact on your proportions due to your stature. This is where the problem exists. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that are adept in using all available implants. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

A natural result for a breast augmentation

We have many implants and profiles to choose from.  With an in-person exam, and hearing more of what you want out of your result, we can help you find the right implant for you.  If you don't want the "high round cleavage look", then I would discourage the high fill ration silicone gel implants (sientra, Inspira), and any high profile implants.  For a natural result, you actually have many profiles to choose from.  the true "gummy bear" implants are firmer, and less natural feeling.  You must be aware of that if you choose those.  

Hope this helps and best wishes!

Dr. Morales

ABPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Choosing Type and size of implant

Thank you for your question, but you need to understand that what you are asking is the basis of the breast augmentation consultation, at which time, the board certified plastic surgeon will go over all these options with you; it is difficult to give you an answer without an examination.  I have a Vectra 3-D imager in my office which will also help with the decision making process.  The consultation is free, and I would be happy to help you obtain the figure and look you desire. 

I need help with recommendations on which type/shape/size of silicone implants I should get?

Thanks for the question and for including good photos.You should be able to get an excellent result that meets your goals. Unfortunately no surgeon can pick specific implants for a patient without an examination. But based on your goal look and your athletic activities the first implant I would look at would be the textured anatomic implant by Natrelle in order to avoid too much upper pole roundness and reduce the risk of stretching the implant pocket out towards the armpit with heavy exercise. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon