I got MRSA at my tummy tuck wound, should I use wet or dry dressing? (Photo)

Got my tummy tuck out of the county a month ago. Now I found out that I have MRSA and I been taking antibiotics and also putting antibiotic cream on the wound. Should I use regular gauze or Petrolatum-impregnated gauze? I read that wound heals better in moist environment but is that ok for MRSA as well? Just afraid that the bacteria will like the wet and do not leave me alone!

Doctor Answers 4

Moist wound

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Moist wounds do heal better.  You should also be followed by a surgeon who monitors your progress and directs your antibiotic therapy.

Napa Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Wound care

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sorry to hear that you are having a wound problem.I recommend you contact your plastic surgeon and ask for his/her advice.  Each plastic surgeon has different preference and protocol in regards to wound care.  In addition, in-person examination of the wound and close follow-up will be needed.  Please ask your plastic surgeon for referral for local plastic surgeon who can evaluate your wound.Best regards.

TT wound healing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thnk you for your question. I recommend to talk to your surgeon and follow  his.her instructions as everybody have their own way of treating. If you can not talk to them please see a local physician for assessment for local wound care and antibiotic management.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.