I had labiaplasty 4weeks ago is it botched or am I just being impatient with my end results? (photos)

I feel he left too much skin at the top by the clitoral hood, over the past 2 weeks it has gone down significantly, but is this what my end results are gonna look like???

Labiaplasty Post-Op Healing

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well for swelling. With this concern you could allow a little more time for the swelling to go down, or you should also feel free to contact your plastic surgeon with questions about the healing process if you are worried or uncomfortable in any way. Best of luck to you! 

Good morning!there is always significant swelling after labiaplasty.  You will likely not see the final result for another couple of weeks.  Be sure to share your issues with your PS to be sure they are addressing your concerns.I hope this helps.

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

Time will tell whether or not you need a clitoral hood reduction

There is swelling around the clitoral hood making it look large. If it looks the same when you're healed, then you'll need to have it reduced. I would wait six months. Don't judge it for another 2-4 weeks.

I had labiaplasty 4 weeks ago, is it botched?

Thank you for your question and photos. You had a trim labiaplasty and your surgeon did not address the clitoral hood excess. That is the thick, excess tissue that your surgeon did not know how to handle it or did not recognize this preoperatively. Although you do have some residual swelling from your surgery, this does not account for the clitoral hood tissue excess. You will need a clitoral hood reduction to remove the excess tissue overhang. See a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who have understanding of the anatomy and surgical techniques to give a normal looking result. As you found out, not every plastic surgeon or gynecologist are well trained in these procedures. Good luck.

Are my results botched or am I being impatient?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry that your current results have caused you concern.  Though you do have residual swelling to the tissues of your clitoral hood, your surgeon did not address the tissue redundancy and laxity here in order to leave you with a smooth tapered result.  Depending on what your goal outcome was, you will likely need a revision procedure in the future to address the remaining tissue.  See a labiaplasty surgeon in consultation to maximize your results.  Best wishes.

Is this a botched labiaplasty 4 weeks after surgery or am I being impatient?

Dear Mandichamp,Thank you for writing in with your question and sharing your photos.  You still have some swelling around the hood so patience is needed for another 6 weeks or so until you will see your final results.  I would not call this a botched labiaplasty, rather one that was performed by a surgeon without much experience or aesthetic eye on reconstruction.  There is too much tissue towards the top and the two sides are uneven.  This can be fixed in a few months.As you probably know, search for an experienced cosmetic-plastic gynecologist or urologist with extensive training in labiaplasties, hood reductions and revisions.  Ask to see lots of before and after pictures as well as how (s)he addresses post-op complications when they occur.  Please visit the link below to read more about labiaplasty and hood reduction.I hope this information is helpful.Sincerely,Troy Robbin Hailparn, MD, FACOGCosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

You will probably need further skin excised at your clitoral hood

it is important to be clear with your plastic surgeon, before surgery, exactly what you want changed in the appearance of your labia. it is certainly possible to do another surgery and address the clitoral hood area but it is important to wait until you are 6 months after your initial surgery. also being only 4 weeks post surgery, there will still be swelling present and i expect the appearance to get better over the next several months.david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

I am sorry to hear of your post operative results.  Though I would not call you botched your results are less than desirable.  This is one of the most common questions I see on the RealSelf website i.e. patients upset with the results of their labiaplasty. I agree that your results are less then desirable and I also agree that you should wait till the swelling completely goes down.  I disagree with most surgeon who state that you must wait 6 months as i have been performing labia revisions on botched surgery at 3-4 months post operative for years. Do not limit yourself to a surgeon in TX as this next surgery is going to be the best chance of restoring you to as close normal as you can get. Choosing a cosmetic vaginal surgeon or any surgeon should be one of the most important decisions of your life. Failure to choose a surgeon with experience, expertise and one who achieves excellent results is not an easy find especially a surgeon who has experience with botched labiaplasties. There are a lot of surgeons who think they are experts in the field but they don’t work on vaginas daily. Some surgeon have practices that allow them to operate and perform: breast augmentations, tummy tuck, butt lifts, hair transplant and then there are surgeons who dedicate their whole practice to vaginal reconstruction and cosmetic vaginal surgery. It is obvious which surgeon has more experience, expertise and better insight as to the a patients desires of their gynecologic area. Please don’t just choose a surgeon because they claims to be specialist in plastic surgery --- choose a surgeon who can prove to you they are specialists in your gynecologic area of concern. In your situation you need a surgeon who has experience in botched labia surgeries.   Choose a surgeon who has great before and after pictures especially in the realm of botched labiaplasties. John R MIklos MD Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Am I botched after labiaplasty?

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. You had a trimming labiaplasty with a lot of upper labia and clitoral hood remaining with over removal of your labia. The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone.  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions. Gary J. Alter, M.D.  Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Botched labiaplasty?

HI Mandi,  First , you are still fairly swollen and I am sure that the labia will decrease in size over the next month or so. You may need to have a revision around the hood area, but I think that the appearance of the labia will look better over time.   Keep in touch with your surgeon and let him/ her know of your concerns. If some more tissue needs to be taken, this is a better situation than if too much was taken, so do not despair.Best,Dr. Christine Rodgers