I had laser vein surgery (ELAS) on 1 leg on a vein running. How long can I expect to feel pain?

Is pain normal and how long will it last? It has been 1 week. I only have mild bruising but a sharp pain in my thigh and side of leg. I wear compression hose and take advil. My doctor is board certified but he just hasn't fully disclosed the level of pain to expect.

Post ablation discomfort.

It is not uncommon to have discomfort along the vein that was treated by an ablation.  Laser ablation results in the vein being heated and this vein goes through a process of inflammation followed by contraction followed by dissolving.  Discomfort is usually most prominent 5 days to 2 weeks post treatment and then will resolve.  Anti inflammatory meds and wet warm compresses to the area will help.

Naples General Surgeon

Pain after vein ablation

Most people have only mild discomfort following a vein ablation, however, some people are more sensitive than others and may actually have more nerve fibers present in certain areas that other people.  If that is the case for you, be patient, it will get better.  Has your doctor done an ultrasound since your procedure to look for phlebitis (inflammation of the vein)?  That can also cause pain.  The treatment is essentially what you're already doing, advil and compression, with the addition of walking and using a heating pad to the area several times a day.  Phlebitis generally resolves in 2-4 weeks.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon