Juvederm Ultra Plus on 11/8/16. I asked my doctor for a specific look - feel like he gave me something poutier. (photos)

He injected 2 syringes. I noticed large hard bumps on part of my lips and also a random line has formed on my upper lip. Do you think I am still swollen or that he over filled? Once the swelling goes down will I get the results as in my reference photo?

Juvederm Ultra Plus

Thank you for your question. You could still be swollen. It can take up to two weeks for all swelling to resolve. Therefore, I would give it some time before you make your final determination in regards to the outcome. Two syringes of Juvederm ultra plus is a significant amount of filler in the lip and therefore will give you a substantial increase in volume.  

Orange County Dermatologist

Still Swollen--Swelling after lip augmentation (Juvederm Restylane)

This could still be swelling. Swelling can last 1-2 weeks after an injection. If you're unhappy with your final results, you can have it dissolved and try a different technique next time. Best, Dr. Emer

Juvederm Ultra plus for lips

Hello.  In my experience, injecting 2 syringes is a lot of filler and will likely create an exaggerated appearance--which is fine if that is what you want.  Many patients want a subtle and natural enhancement to their lips and generally 0.5 cc to 1 cc is all one needs.  Regardless of amount injected, there will be some swelling and most of that should be gone by two weeks.  Keep your follow up appointments with your doctor to track your recovery and see if the results are what you want.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Getting look of a picture for you own lips is not possible usually

I don't know the time frame here. Swelling takes up to 2 weeks to calm down. Don't judge the results yet. However, to make lips just as a picture isn't always possible. Your lip anatomy might not allow the same shape as the pics. Wait and see is my suggestion. Lumps do occur but usually settle down.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm Ultra Plus on 11/8/16. I asked my doctor for a specific look - feel like he gave me something poutier.

At 6 days out you can still have swelling from the treatment.  It is best to wait about 2 weeks from the injection to see your final result, as the lips tend to swell more than other areas.  It is always difficult to predict whether your final result will exactly match the photo your brought in to show your doctor.  Photos like that give an idea of what your goals are, but they should not be taken as a guarantee of a result.  If you have concerns, I'd recommend you follow up with your injector to be evaluated.  I also recommend for any future injections you receive them from one of the core aesthetic physician injectors (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, dermatologist).  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation and evaluating your result

Lip augmentation is a procedure where filler is injected into the lips to increase volume and enhance the borders of the lips. Just by poking the lips with the needle causes swelling.

The reactive swelling goes down in the first 2 days. Then it takes 2 weeks for the filler to absorb water and reach your final result. Bruising may delay the result further. Before that point, it's too early to evaluate your outcome and you end up chasing your tail by touching up prematurely. 

Patience is virtue. Don't rush into adding more filler or dissolving with hyaluronidase. Make sure you follow-up with your doctor so they can track your progress to a safe and happy result. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon