I'm very interested in a mommy makeover. What are the latest advances & potential risks, since I had previous cesarians? (Photo)

I have had 4 cesarians and my scar is at my bikini line. If I have a tummy tuck would it be in the same area? I would not want double scar lines. I don't think I want implants but if I just have a lift, does that greatly reduce my breast size? I'm a 38D now. I've never had any work done, so this is new territory for me. Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question and posting photos.  It is quite common for us to treat patients with a history of multiple C-sections.  During your tummy tuck, your plastic surgeon will remove the old c-section scar and all the associated scar tissue from your prior ob/gyn procedures.   The tummy tuck scar is generally placed at or lower than your c-section scar.   Your plastic surgeon will evaluate your anatomy and will guide you in terms of the anticipated positioning of your tummy tuck scar.   As per your breasts, it looks like you could be a great candidate for a breast lift without implants.   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn more about your options.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

TT and lift

Thank you for the photos and you appear to be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck and minimal scar breast lift so go on some consults with experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Mommy Makeover with Augmentation Mastopexy

The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.

In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.

A Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

Your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

I'm very interested in a mommy makeover. What are the latest advances & potential risks, since I had previous cesarians?

Breast lift with a low scar tummy tuck would be reasonable.  I would search for the board certified plastic surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results and who performs hundreds of these procedures each year. I would look at patient reviews as well as before and after photos on that surgeon's website.

Mommy makeover

Good Afternoon!

looking at your photos, I think you are a great candidate for a "mommy makeover".  You do not have an excess of fatty tissue, and you appear to have abdominal wall laxity that would benefit greatly from an abdominoplasty with an "internal corset" as well as liposuction.

Your breast are also well suited for a breast lift- either with or without an implant.  Because a large majority of your breast tissue is already above the fold of your breast, you would not experience a great decrease in size by not using an implant.  An implant however would give you more upper pole fullness in your breast than is otherwise obtainable with a lift alone.

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover

The tummy tuck scar would be below the C-section, eliminating it.  The breast operation best for you would be a lift.  The lift would use your breast volume and reposition everything in a smaller skin envelope, making the breasts perkier.

Latest advancements in TT and breast lift techniques

Thank you for your question and photos.

TT-  your C-section incision will not be an issue as it can be included in the removal of excess skin and tissue. From your photos, it appears that in addition to muscle plication, you will also benefit from abdominal wall repair with mesh. Pregnancy has a tendency to damage the integrity of your abdominal wall where simple muscle plication may not be enough. The mesh acts as an internal girdle that simply reinforces your existing tissues to ensure long term results. Lateral plications also help in 'pulling in' waistline, improving overall shape.
Breast lift- the latest advancement in the rejuvenation of the female breast is The Horndeski Method (TM). This technique reshapes, repositions and anchors the female breast to the underlying chest muscles for long term results, minimal scars and no need for breast implants. The vertical incision is no longer used in this method as it has proven to be detremental in producing long term results.

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Questions

Based on your pictures you appear to be a good candidate for a mommy makeover. This is just a term for having multiple procedures performed to help contour the body. People who have had a caesarian section are usually great candidates for a tummy tuck procedure. In this procedure, your old scar would be removed along with the drooping skin and you would have a just one scar that would be lower on your abdomen after the procedure. The main risks, however minor, can include loss of skin sensation around the surgical site, scarring, bleeding, wound separation, infection, or allergic reactions. Having a lift without implants can cause the breasts to be slightly smaller but the shape and nipple position will likely be better. If you want that fullness after your lift you may want to consider getting implants if you want to maintain the same size breasts. Be sure to consult with a board certified surgeon in your area about what specifically they can do for you.

Mommy Makeover

From the photos it certainly looks like you would be a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover. A full Tummy tuck and breast lift will address your areas of concern. Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in Body Contouring and Aesthetic Breast Surgery for a consultation and more details. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Advances in Mommy Makeover Surgery

There are many advances in Tummy Tuck surgery including use of absorbable sutures, potentially not using drains, long acting local anesthetics (Exparel) so that it is not longer very painful, etc. 
See a board certified plastic surgeon.