I had a facelift two years ago and I don't like the scars, they are very itchy, painful uncomfortable. Any suggestion? (photo)

How and where can I fix that

Scars following facelift...

I'm sorry you are experiencing this...You appear to have some scar hypertrophy following your surgery.  I have had some success improving the appearance of hypertrophic or inflamed scars by injecting them with a kenalog and 5-FU mixture.  This often requires a series of injections spaced about 1 month apart for maximal response.  The alternative is to excise these scars and monitor the new ones (injecting them as needed) to try and prevent this from occurring once more (unfortunately, you still have a risk of this happening again though).  Good luck moving forward!

New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

HYPERTROPHIC FACELIFT SCARS

For the thicker, hypertrophic scars like the one under your chin I would try injections with a steroid/5FU mixture.  The more wide scars like the ones around your ears will require revision with intraoperative injections of the same mixture in order to prevent recurrence.  

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Facelift Scars

Thank you for your question, and for the pictures.

I'm sorry this happened to you.  The type of scarring you are experiencing, with hypertrophic//keloid scars, is not usual.  I recommend contacting your surgeon to see what can be done.  They may suggest injections like steroids or 5-FU, but you will likely need scar revision/secondary facelift to resolve this to your satisfaction.  The incision placement behind the ear from your original surgery, while accepted, is not ideal.  I would inquire about the possibility of having that scar closer to the back of your ear before it crosses your neck and enters the hairline (if that's even possible to accomplish with the revision).

Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #beauty #multipleprocedures #swelling

Dear Orela

Thank you for your questions and photos.  I am sorry that you are experiencing difficulty.  Your scars are 'hypertrophic' and would best be treated with injections of Flurourocil  - or 5FU and a small amount of steroid.

As far as repairing them- this may be difficult and time is required for the tissues to relax so that the skin can be re-draped. You will have the risk of thickened scars again- and this should be managed on a monthly basis.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Keloids after face lift surgery

It is very unusual to see keloids after face lift surgery except in dark skin or Asian patients. There is no doubt that you need immediate help. You should contact your plastic surgeon immediately and discuss "typical treatments" like Kenalog injections, application of pressure, scar revision (in post-auricular areas in particular), 5FU, even low dose irradiation. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Scars after facelift not a usual consequence!

Scars after facelift not a usual consequence! i'm sorry to see that you're having this problem. Some people can develop keloids but usually it is caused by excess tension on the suture lines. You should have your surgeon look at the scars and potentially inject Kenalog into the scars. If that does not work you may need to use 5FU, a cancer drug. 

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift - scars still lumpy and sitchy

Thank you for asking about your face lift scars.

• You have hypertrophic (thickened, active) scars.
  • You may need a scar revision with steroid injections - or just steroids or other injections.
  • The best person to see is your original plastic surgeon -
  • If you aren't near her/him any more, than find a plastic surgeon you like for further treatment.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Facelift Scars

You appear to have hypertrophic and possibly keloid scars. I would recommend seeing your surgeon. These are typically treated with injections of a dilute steroid. Scar revision with close follow up injections may also be needed.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Itchy scars after facelift

Hello.  Based on your photos, it looks like you've developed keloid scars.  I recommend you follow up with your surgeon to discuss options, which range from serial kenalog injections to surgical scar revisions (which must be considered with care due to your keloid history).  in severe cases, some patients may also benefit with post surgery radiation therapy, but these are all questions best discussed at your evaluation.  Good luck.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Raised itchy scars after facelift

Thank you for your question and the photos. The scars appear raised and hypertrophic. I routinely recommend all my patients use topical silicone after their incisions have healed to help soften the new scars These products can also give some improvement to mature scars. If the scars continue raise up and have signs of inflammation, I have had good results with intralesional injections of Kenalog repeated at 6-8 week intervals into the dense tissue   Laser treatments  could also be considered.  In most cases I feel it is better to work with the existing scar unless it is just too large or not responding. A revision can place more tension on the new scar and could result in similar or worse healing. However, if there is enough skin laxity and the scar becomes too large, revision may be the best option.  I recommend you consult with an experienced facelift surgeon for the timing of any surgical treatment. 

Stephen Fink, DO FAOCO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon