Donut lift w/implants done in July & I had problems that caused open wounds ps said he will do scar revision in office? (Photos)

My breast are still a little saggy will he be able to improve my lift when doing the scar revision in the office? He said wait 1yr to do revision so I want my breast to be more perky and was wondering if he could fix that in the office?

Revision at 1 year

Thanks for your question and the photos. Looking at your week 1 photos everything seemed to be fine. I'm sorry for the issues that you've had. I would allow everything to heal to where there are no open areas and then wait a minimum of 6 months. The adjacent skin will not be pliable enough to allow a redo of the nipple areolar closure. I would also convert this to a short scar vertical pattern to get the lift and perkiness you desire. Best of Luck!

Scar revision in office or the OR

Hello and thank you for your question.  I tend to be more conservative, and in the setting where a patient has breast implants underneath, I do not take any chances for infection and prefer to do most work in the operating room, even scar revisions.  In your case, I think that you would benefit from a full breast lift as a donut lift is not sufficient to hold the weight of your breasts -- in some patients, a donut lift may seem like a good idea, but in your case, your incisions opened most likely due to too much tension, and if plan A failed the first time, probably not a good idea to follow plan A again.  Again, there are many different ways to do plastic surgery. I break down lifting techniques into two basic techniques:

1) if it is mainly the nipple position that needs lifting, I like the circumareolar approach (also called a donut lift)

2) if a large portion of the breast tissue/weight needs to be lifted, a circumvertical (also called lollipop) and sometimes a full anchor incision is needed as the circumareolar approach in my mind is not strong enough to hold the weight of the breast and results in stretching of the areola and drooping over time.

I recommend you have open discussion with your surgeon and be sure to seek the expertise of a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in aesthetic breast surgery.  

I hope this helps you!

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

This is fixable

Hi Chquinta,Thanks for your inquiry. I'm so sorry you're having this complication. Wounds can be very distressing for patients. The good news is that it looks like you have fairly superficial wounds. The other good news is that there is almost always a plan B after surgery, and your situation can be greatly improved.However, in my opinion, the peri-areolar lift is only useful in specific scenarios, and I think you would do MUCH better converting to a vertical breast lift. A donut lift is a nipple lift, not a breast lift. Although I don't know exactly how you looked prior to surgery, it appears that your breasts were droopy and you needed more than your nipples elevated. What I would recommend at this point is do some really good wound care for a little while longer, and talk to your surgeon and see what her/his thoughts are on going back to the OR to clean the tissue up and convert to a vertical breast lift. The vectors of pull will put much less tension on the areola and hopefully give you a better, perkier breast shape. In the meantime, be sure to avoid all first and second-hand cigarette smoke and eat a nutritious diet to optimize your wound healing for your next operation. Please keep us posted and hang in there.Sincerely,Dr. Weintraub

Donut lift w/implants done in July & I had problems that caused open wounds ps said he will do scar revision in office?

In the vast majority of cases, scar revision can be done in the office.  Donut mastopexy will not give you the perky breast you desire.  Consider a second opinion with a highly experienced board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Best revisionary operation for "perkier" breasts?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast surgery. What type of revisionary breast surgery you should undergo will mainly depend on what your goals are;  for example, how you define "more perky".  Keep in mind, that additional breast lifting done around the areala will be very limited when it comes to achieving a "perkier" outcome. In other words, the circumareolar (Benelli)  breast lift is limited in its "power" when it comes to how much breast lifting it actually achieves. 
My best suggestion: communicate your goals carefully with your plastic surgeon. In our practices this is best done with the help of goal photographs. Working together you will come up with the best plan to achieve an outcome you will be happier with. Best wishes.