I was just diagnosed with a bilateral rupture by MRI. Would this be covered under mentor warranty? Is this harmful to me at all?

Implants placed 18 mos ago.

The implants should be replaced. If you purchased the Mentor extended warranty they should replace implants and provide $3500 towards surgery.

Bilateral silicone gel implant rupture by MRI

MRI is most frequently used to diagnose silicone gel implant rupture, which can be contained by the capsule (intracapsular) or not (extracapsular). Warranty coverage depends on whether this is your first breast aug, in which case you will be eligible for both financial assistance as well as replacement of the implants, provided that your current implants are made by Mentor and you enrolled in the extended warranty program by paying the enrollment fee of $200 within 45 days of your procedure.  If this isn't your first set, the relative short time between surgery and detection of implant failure should theoretically qualify you for replacement implants as well as financial assistance, although the $ amount may be less.  The fee for the MRI is exempt.  You shouldn't expect many health consequences as long as the silicone gel is contained.  I'd recommend against contact sports until your implants are replaced. 

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Rupture

Check with your surgeon and mentor.  They do offer a warranty program.  Dr. Guerra has given you a lot of good information to aid you in your research.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rupture

Thank you for the question and Dr Guerra has answered your question very well.  So check with your surgeon and Mentor 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Covered by Mentor Warranty?

Thank you for this important question. Replacement of the breast implants via the warranty is covered for lifetime under the standard Mentor warranty. However, MRI is not always correct about whether a breast implant is ruptured so if the surgery is done and they are actually not ruptured, the warranty will not work to pay for the breast implants. If you payed the additional 200.00 dollars within 45 days of the operation and got the Enhanced warranty you may also be eligible for 3500.00 dollars towards surgery. It's the best warranty out there right now. Best, Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD