I need a BR which is covered by insurance but the MD wants an additional $4k for an added lift. Is it necessary? 47 yo

47 yo, breast fed two children, 42 H want a C cup

Extra Cost for Lift with Breast Reduction

A lift is generally always included in a breast reduction procedure. I would talk to your surgeon and if necessary, get a second opinion from another surgeon.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and breast lift

You may want to discuss this further with your surgeon.  Typically, a breast lift is part of a breast reduction -- the markings for the two procedures are essentially the same.  The only difference between the two procedures is that with a breast lift, little to no breast tissue is removed; where as with a breast reduction, a significant amount of breast tissue is removed.  If your breast reduction is being covered by insurance, it is unlikely that you would require a separate charge for a breast lift as well.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

I need a BR which is covered by insurance but the MD wants an additional $4K for an added lift. Is it necessary?

A breast lift is performed as part of a breast reduction; it is not a separate procedure.  You may wish to check with the surgeon to clarify why you need an "added" lift, or obtain a second opinion from a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced at performing breast reductions.

Craig S. Rock, MD

There may be some type of miscommunication: when a breast reduction is performed, the breasts are "automatically" lifted.  My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she is a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Then, it will be important that you communicate your goals carefully as well. Best wishes.

Breast reduction and lift

A breast lift is part of a breast reduction, and it goes hand in hand. Getting a second opinion might be a good idea. 
Best of luck

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

each case is a bit different however all breast reductions involve lifting the middle position as well therefore I am not sure why he's charging you extra however there may be some charges with your insurance that you may be responsible for. 

Needs a second opinion

A second opinion will help.Seek out another plastic surgeon to evaluate you and give you the estimated costs.Usually the lift with a reduction alone is enough.